Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #1

da 21mm ltd a bit of "give" or flex between the parts

Hi,

Handling my da 21 I've started to notice a fair bit of movement between the parts. Pushing the focusing ring sideways makes it move a fraction of a mm before it stops with a clicking sound. The filter thread (including the lens elements) can be moved in a similar way jogging back and forth producing clicking sounds as it stops at the most extreme position. Picking the lens up you can feel how something is moving.

I haven't noticed any degradation in image quality even if focussing is a bit hit and miss with my K5.

Thing is I can't remember if the lens always had this amount of flex or if has developed over time. Knowing that the smc da 21 has had a few disassembly issues I thought I'd check if other da21's are solid without 'give' or have a tiny amount of flex between the elements of the construction.

/Cheers

05-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
Forum Member

Hi, mine is exactly the same as this and has always been this way. Don't think it is anything to worry about
05-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Hi,

Handling my da 21 I've started to notice a fair bit of movement between the parts. Pushing the focusing ring sideways makes it move a fraction of a mm before it stops with a clicking sound. The filter thread (including the lens elements) can be moved in a similar way jogging back and forth producing clicking sounds as it stops at the most extreme position. Picking the lens up you can feel how something is moving.

I haven't noticed any degradation in image quality even if focussing is a bit hit and miss with my K5.

Thing is I can't remember if the lens always had this amount of flex or if has developed over time. Knowing that the smc da 21 has had a few disassembly issues I thought I'd check if other da21's are solid without 'give' or have a tiny amount of flex between the elements of the construction.

/Cheers
There are (probably several) threads about this, here is one where I've contributed recently:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/292282-ques...ed-owners.html
It seems that there are lenses (not just the 21) with similar "behaviour" - generally not affecting the IQ or the functionality.
05-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few of my limiteds (15, 21, 31 - all AIV) have developed a bit of wobble. It doesn't seem to have affected IQ at all. My 43 and 77 (both MIJ) and 35 (AIV) are fine.

05-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. Apologies for missing those threads.