Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #1

Pentax-F 50mm autofocus not working

Hello all.
Not sure if this the right place to post this, but I think 'troubleshooting' is what I am looking for. I am looking to buy a Pentax-F 50mm f1.4 at a very reasonable price, only that the automatic functions of the lens do not work. Seller says that aperture cannot be controlled by the camera and autofocus is not working due to a 'damaged Flex Board'. Any suggestion as to if this sounds like something fixable? The lens works in manual mode.
Thanks.

05-11-2015, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the electronic board and the flex cable are damaged then it sounds like there's not much you can do to repair it. My guess is someone might have damaged it during a repair operation (the fact that he specified the issue means he's somewhat knowledgeable with the inner workings) Such transparency is reassuring because you won't get stuck with a broken lens, which seems to be the case with this one. I have an F 50/f1.4 lens and it's very hard to use in MF due to its think focus ring and short throw, you'd be better served with a -A 50/f1.4 in this case.
05-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
If the electronic board and the flex cable are damaged then it sounds like there's not much you can do to repair it. My guess is someone might have damaged it during a repair operation (the fact that he specified the issue means he's somewhat knowledgeable with the inner workings) Such transparency is reassuring because you won't get stuck with a broken lens, which seems to be the case with this one. I have an F 50/f1.4 lens and it's very hard to use in MF due to its think focus ring and short throw, you'd be better served with a -A 50/f1.4 in this case.
Thanks Stavri. My thinking was that if I will not be able to fix it I might just use it as a manual lens, so knowing that manual focusing is not the best option with this lens helps. I guess that replacing the electronic board would have a similar cost to getting a properly working lens, so most probably I should forget about it...
05-11-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rafoarc Quote
Thanks Stavri. My thinking was that if I will not be able to fix it I might just use it as a manual lens, so knowing that manual focusing is not the best option with this lens helps. I guess that replacing the electronic board would have a similar cost to getting a properly working lens, so most probably I should forget about it...
I agree, this lens is just not manual-focus friendly (designed that way), as is the case with most F series lenses (expect the extreme-telephoto ones) The A 50/f1.4 is identical to the F and has better dampening, it's the best choice.

05-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you still want AF lens you can try to buy FA 50 f1.4 or DA 50 f1.8
05-11-2015, 04:03 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mixberry Quote
If you still want AF lens you can try to buy FA 50 f1.4 or DA 50 f1.8
sure, those are great lenses. I am not actually in need of one. I just found this at a nice price and started thinking about it. So I'll wait until I come across some other good deal :-)