Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Sure when mounting the lenses they can be turned to the correct end position?

Even missing the point where the contacts should meet by 0.3mm could prevent communication.

EDIT:
One possible cause of such behaviour can be a damaged aperture actuator in the body. Which itself can be caused by a damaged aperture actuator at one of your lenses.
Yeah, I tried mounting and unmounting all of my lenses, so I don't think it was a problem mounting one lens one time.

How do I check if any of the aperture actuators are damaged? It seems like auto-aperture does still work, just not autofocus.

---------- Post added 05-11-15 at 11:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
..is the camera still under warranty?
Yeah, it is. Horray for the extra two years of extended warranty!

05-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #17
Pentaxian

It sounds as if the "A" pin could be the culprit. On the camera body the "A" pin is slightly recessed. Does it look recessed more on your body vs your father's camera body? Perhaps some grit or something got in there and is holding the pin in slightly. You might be able to work it loose with something that won't scratch the coating on the pin like a wooden toothpick. Face the lens opening downward and gently press the pin in.

Another thing you can try is to short the "A" pin on the body. Take a small wad of aluminum foil in put it in the "A" pin pit, make it large enough to touch the mount ring and hold it in with some sticky tape. Mount a lens and see if the 'F--' goes away. If the tape covers some of the other pins the f-stop range might be incorrect but at least you will have isolated the problem to the "A" on the camera side. If no change then there is most likely an electrical problem in the camera.
05-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
How do I check if any of the aperture actuators are damaged?
If you cannot see whether something is bent or otherwise not as it should be, try to shoot in AV.
With all possible aperture settings.
Pictures should be about equally exposed.

For lenses with an aperture ring, repeat it with the setting done from the lens.
05-11-2015, 10:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Yeah, it is. Horray for the extra two years of extended warranty!
Send it in for service.

05-12-2015, 05:39 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
AFAIK the only thing that will cause "F _ _ " is the camera not seeing a lens. Which is a communication failure which means a contact problem.

Look at the contacts on the camera and make sure all sticking up as they should. There are 7 and six should be proud, third from the left (facing) should be flatter and not as proud.
I not sure really. But it happened to me last week and I was in a panic.A couple of people tried to help but no luck. After getting the same deal with all lenses, I pressed that little black button to the left of the A on the aperture thingy. It worked!! Of course I had been using a manual lens just prior to this and I can only assume that the lenses just had not locked on properly. I hope that will be the answer for you.