Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2015, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
rear sync flash

I do believe I need some help from all you clever clogs. I tried out a rear sync this evening, and I am not sure what went wrong? I was exposed (well not I) for one second and the first flash went then a second later the next flash. But my birds didn't freeze? (it was a balmy day) Any ideas?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-12-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

Are you sure the rear sync flash actually fired during the exposure time?
05-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

For what you are trying, I believe you need to set the exposure for the scene to be a little brighter, (about 1/2 stop below correct) using manual exposure, and use manual flash doing a calculation to expose the gulls at their approximate distance.

The flash will fall off beyond the gulls and not impact the distant scene but might over expose the foreground.

The wings and any motion will be a faint blurr for things that were moving during the one second, because the global exposure will be based upon what is in the entire scene for the whole time,
05-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
I do believe I need some help from all you clever clogs. I tried out a rear sync this evening, and I am not sure what went wrong? I was exposed (well not I) for one second and the first flash went then a second later the next flash. But my birds didn't freeze? (it was a balmy day) Any ideas?
The advice given by Lowell Goudge is spot on but I find this really interesting as is. Just opened up exposure, adj WB and added a little spice & seasoning with levels, curves & vibrance mods.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 07-29-2015 at 07:54 PM.
05-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
The advice given by Lowell Goudge is spot on but I find this really interesting as is. Just opened up exposure, adj WB and added a little spice & seasoning with levels, curves & vibrance mods.
Now that is the way to save an image!! Nice work, Brooke. I like the movement blurring.
05-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Now that is the way to save an image!! Nice work, Brooke. I like the movement blurring.
Brooke can you move in with me? Still a bit unsure of why I didn't get more of a freeze but I love what you did with it. I shall have a try myself.
05-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The advice given by Lowell Goudge is spot on but I find this really interesting as is.
I agree. The flash effect may not have been what was wanted, but the photo really works when given a little TLC in post.

Steve
05-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
Brooke can you move in with me? Still a bit unsure of why I didn't get more of a freeze but I love what you did with it. I shall have a try myself.
Your 1 second exposure was enough to record the ambient light. Its why you have cotton candy surf. Which works well with the blurred gulls.

The flash just didn't matter. If the foreground was a couple of stops underexposed at 1 sec (black) from the background, it would have worked.

There is no inherent wonderfulness in "sharp", it's just "sharp". I think your image is far more interesting and evocative than if the gulls had been "sharp".

05-14-2015, 05:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Here are a couple of articles on rear sync flash (dragging the shutter).

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/dragging-the-shutter/

http://neilvn.com/tangents/dragging-the-shutter-revisited/

Tim
05-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter

BTW...the term "rear-curtain sync" had me scratching my head a little. The term I am familiar with is "trailing curtain sync" and is the term used in the Pentax flash and camera manuals. With the exception of a few rangefinder cameras having dual sets of shutter curtains, there is no "rear" curtain, though there is a small region of overlap between the curtains of most other shutters. Both curtains run in the same track, just at different times.

FWIW, dragging the shutter (another term new to me) is just slow speed sync to balance against available light and is not quite the same as trailing curtain sync.

Steve
05-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter

I think your image is far more interesting and evocative than if the gulls had been "sharp".
The flash exposure of the gulls is essentially sharp, though its contribution is somewhat less

Steve
05-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...the term "rear-curtain sync" had me scratching my head a little.
In at least some of their literature Nikon uses "front/rear-curtain sync". The Nikon F4 supposedly had one curtain in front of the other - a diagram from its technical guide is here: Penmachine: Camera Works: shutters, flashes, and sync speed - words music comment from Derek K. Miller - Vancouver, B.C., Canada (since 2000), but it seems like an anomaly?

For what it's worth, Canon uses the "1st/2nd shutter sync" terminology, which seems sensible.
05-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
The Nikon F4 supposedly had one curtain in front of the other - a diagram from its technical guide is here
Interesting! I did a little research and the F4 system is sort of unique. There is a full discussion at the link below:

The Shutter Unit in Nikon F4 - Part III

The reason for the design is to avoid light leaks associated with the multiple thin blades of the F4 shutter. The light leak issue is why shutters on modern Voigtlander and Zeiss (RIP) rangefinder film cameras have a similar arrangement. Current model Nikon digital cameras have a conventional arrangement where only one curtain is across the frame opening pre and post exposure.

The notion of a "front" and "rear" curtain still sort of has me puzzled. I understand that the terms are widely used, but I am curious how they came to be. I own a number of vintage cameras with focal plane shutters and none of them feature any sort of front-to-back arrangement. The old service manuals I have all refer to 1st/2nd, leading/trailing, or opening/closing.

I am curious now and will ask the couple of friends that I have who are that sort of thing. Maybe it is a Nikon thing (I don't own any Nikon cameras).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-14-2015 at 01:29 PM.