Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need to find info on "older " Windows browsers ... where do I post?

Where should I post this:

On my laptop only: Windows Vista and IE 9.

Problem with Flickr because I am using an unsupported browser version.
Problem started only today.

I can log in but once I get there, (all my photos are still there) I simply cannot "click" on an image and work from there.
I get the message "You are using an unsupported version , bla, bla, bla ..."

So, the latest version of IE available for Vista is Version 9, which is already installed on the laptop.
Unfortunately, this is also the last version that is/will be available for Vista and, as of January 1, 2016, will not be supported anymore.

((Note: all works fine from the home PC running Windows 7 64 bits.))

Solution(s) proposed by the geek squad here in town: update laptop to Windows 7.
Cost: $145.00 including licence, and they will "save" my files such as photos, PDF's and DOC's but will not reinstall my programs unless some are freeware and available from the web.

Is there any other way?

Thanks !!

Last edited by jpzk; 05-13-2015 at 01:10 PM. Reason: forgot a question
05-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Vista only went up to IE9, so no way around that. You can try other browsers, see what that gets you. You can also find Win7/Win8 (if your hardware can handle it, so be sure to check) for $99 in a lot of places (newegg.com, for one).
05-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why not just install Firefox?
05-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #4

I had the same problem; so switched to Google Chrome.

05-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob.S Quote
I had the same problem; so switched to Google Chrome.
I did try Chrome (today from this laptop) to access Flickr and I am getting nowhere with that.
This is what happened:
I try logging in but this "stupid" Yahoo thing appears and ask for username and P/W .... I type that in and I get messages
that my username and P/W are not valid !!

Tried again with the "old" Vista - IE9 .... logged in alright but, as mentioned earlier, unable to work with my pictures.

I am afraid to do as they (Yahoo) propose: create a new account ! Then I won't be able to have/see my 800+ pictures.

JP
05-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You have to create a Yahoo account and link it, all according to their instructions. They cancelled the Google log-in and it was a pain to get mine working with a new Yahoo one but after pulling my hair it finally did.
05-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I did try Chrome (today from this laptop) to access Flickr and I am getting nowhere with that.
This is what happened:
I try logging in but this "stupid" Yahoo thing appears and ask for username and P/W .... I type that in and I get messages
that my username and P/W are not valid !!

Tried again with the "old" Vista - IE9 .... logged in alright but, as mentioned earlier, unable to work with my pictures.

I am afraid to do as they (Yahoo) propose: create a new account ! Then I won't be able to have/see my 800+ pictures.

JP
Your Flickr account has to be accessible from Chrome with the old credentials.
In order to have a Flickr account you had to create a yahoo account as well (I don't know how it is recently, but this was the "rule" years ago). These two (yahoo account and flickr account) have identical usernames and password - just be sure to enter them correctly, for the username use *****@yahoo.com format.
05-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #8

Ok, try using the "I've forgotten my password/username" links on the Flickr login page......... It's a bit of a long winded process, (and I can't remember the exact way it's done), but you should be able to reset your password. I've had this happen many times [usually after a system crash, Flickr does not accept my login details, and I have to re-set them]. Hope this helps.

Rob.

05-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob.S Quote
Ok, try using the "I've forgotten my password/username" links on the Flickr login page......... It's a bit of a long winded process, (and I can't remember the exact way it's done), but you should be able to reset your password. I've had this happen many times [usually after a system crash, Flickr does not accept my login details, and I have to re-set them]. Hope this helps.

Rob.
What he said...

You might also want to consider Firefox over Chrome. The reason is that (unless something has recently changed), Chrome is not consistently color space aware and does fully support embedded ICC profiles. This may result in your work looking different in Chrome than it does in your editing software or what other people see when viewing your work using IE or Firefox.

For more on Chrome (current as of summer 2014): http://cameratico.com/guides/google-chrome-color-management/

To test your browser: http://cameratico.com/tools/web-browser-color-management-test/

How to configure Firefox (for completeness): http://cameratico.com/guides/firefox-color-management/

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-13-2015 at 03:42 PM.
05-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why not just install Firefox?
This, +1.
Now even MS is acknowledging that IE is dead.
05-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
You have to create a Yahoo account and link it, all according to their instructions. They cancelled the Google log-in and it was a pain to get mine working with a new Yahoo one but after pulling my hair it finally did.
Did that a while back !
It was working for a while until this "glitch" appeared today on the Vista laptop.
I am fine with the PC at home (here right now) as it is using IE 11.

JP

---------- Post added 05-13-15 at 09:37 PM ----------

Thanks for all of the help , folks!
Much appreciated

I will follow through with the recommendations and perhaps opt for Firefox as well.

Certainly will report back here asap with comments , hoping this will soon be resolved.

Cheers!

JP