Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #1

Adaptall PK mount

Quick question: does this mount always stay stopped down when you move the aperture ring? It appears to be a real Tamron adapter but when it's on my 60-300 it's always stopped down. When I take the mount off the lens, it's fine.

This prevented a trade-in on the lens (which I'm sorta grateful for because I do like the lens and was just trying to save money on a new one =P) because despite the lens being functionally perfect without the mount, they wouldn't accept it without it. =P

Thanks!

05-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You mean when it is off the camera, right? When it is mounted (to the camera) it should stay wide-open until the shutter snaps. However, when it is off the camera, the aperture should open and close as you turn the ring, yes. (Make sure you have both little tabs on the mount properly in their slots on the lens -- if they are not that will keep it from operating correctly.)
05-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
YQG

Original Poster
Nope, it does it on or off camera. It's not the body, because the store tried it on two other film bodies with the same result.

I just played around with it and discovered the problem, the arm to keep the aperture open was bent over too far and wasn't hitting the catch in the camera. TIL things. =)

Thanks for the verification and assisting in my discovery! Now I feel better.

Last edited by YQG; 05-15-2015 at 09:30 PM.
05-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I seem to recall a post outlining proper procedures with this adapter that unless followed could result in damage as described.

05-16-2015, 04:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by YQG Quote
Quick question: does this mount always stay stopped down when you move the aperture ring? It appears to be a real Tamron adapter but when it's on my 60-300 it's always stopped down. When I take the mount off the lens, it's fine.

This prevented a trade-in on the lens (which I'm sorta grateful for because I do like the lens and was just trying to save money on a new one =P) because despite the lens being functionally perfect without the mount, they wouldn't accept it without it. =P

Thanks!
The mount should behave like a K mount lens, it is stopped down to the set aperture until mounted
05-16-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I seem to recall a post outlining proper procedures with this adapter that unless followed could result in damage as described.
Nope...I own two and have been using this type adapter for over 30 years.

There is a proper procedure (set aperture to maximum opening before changing adapter), but that is required just to get the adapter to seat.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The mount should behave like a K mount lens, it is stopped down to the set aperture until mounted
What he said...

Glad that the OP found the source of the problem. The PK adapters generally work well, but they lack a guard for the aperture actuator to help avoid the kind of damage that was described.

Steve