Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Carrying SLRs and DSLRs by tripod sockets?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm not really sure where to post this.

I have a BlackRapid Sport sling. As most know, this uses the tripod socket to carry the camera on a strap across one's chest at hip level; the camera can be slid up the strap to shooting position.

I use a K-5 with auxiliary grip, genuine Pentax, and as backup a K 10 also with genuine Pentax auxiliary grip. Are these grips strong enough to support the camera and lens? If using a large zoom with a tripod mount I'd of course use the lens tripod mount for the strap.

Same situation with some SLR's. I like to keep a winder mounted on:

LX
MX
ME-Super
Super Program

Are the tripod sockets in these winders strong enough to carry the camera and mounted lens? Naturally if using my Tokina 80 - 200 f2.8, an all-metal monster, I'd use the lens' tripod socket.

Many thanks for any user stories or advice. I'd sure hate to rip the tripod socket out of the winder or grip, and have one of these lovelies crash into the concrete!

05-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
never had any problem. Use a k5 and k3 with grip and regularly attach them to my sun sniper strap
05-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
never had any problem. Use a k5 and k3 with grip and regularly attach them to my sun sniper strap
Thanks for the reassuring message. I'm probably just being a worry-wart, but......
05-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been using a Black Rapid for four years with no problem, in that same time I've had a neck strap on a Q fray at the connector. I regularly carry a DA*300 and Tamron 70-200 with the tripod connector. I think your tripod connectors are pretty strong, early this week I was at Magee Marsh where everyday there are hundreds of giant expensive lenses mounted to tripods being carried on the photographer's shoulders, a lot more weight on those sockets.

05-17-2015, 01:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I never also had any problem and also have a habit of walking with my tripod with camera attached over my shoulder, but recently while doing research for new tripod I saw several warnings about doing that to do with things coming undone and centres falling out or centre extensions falling out and QR plates not taking the load and becoming detached.
That latter makes sence as they are not designed I suppose for any strain really other the turning the camera /lens combo to portrait orientation .
05-17-2015, 02:23 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I carry mine that way - no disaster yet or hint of it.
05-17-2015, 02:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a BlackRapid double sling for my music festival work. Often 12 hour days with a 70-200/2.8 (no tripod collar) or the DA*50-135 on one body and a DA*16-50 on the other, sometimes with the added weight of a flash. Absolutely no problems over a four year period.

05-17-2015, 04:21 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Thanks for the reassuring message. I'm probably just being a worry-wart, but......

B/R makes a tether system to ease your concerns. I've never had a problem, but use the tethers, with extra carabiners as "quick release" clips, for added piece of mind.

See it here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/293336...ml#post3225200
05-17-2015, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I would think you should be fine, me... I would still rig up some form of secondary tether, I'm just a belt and braces kinda guy with things like this.
05-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I would be more concerned about the strength of the lens mount over that of the tripod socket. If the lens is heavy and has a tripod socket, suspend from the lens.

As for walking around with camera on tripod...I have done so with my 4x5 and have seen it done with 8x10 view cameras as well, but to be honest, I have never been comfortable doing so. The force (weight) is usually nicely distributed on the contact patch between camera and tripod head, but the potential for snagging on something (tree limbs) can be a problem. There is also the risk of a poorly secured QR plate.

Steve
05-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I carry a DA *300 by the tripod mount on a Yeti.

Also, see this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/293336...-use-them.html
05-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

One of the guys in our camera club was using a Black Rapid strap and carrying his camera by the tripod mount. Over time, the strap backed out and his camera and lens dropped to the ground...with bad results. At our last meeting, several folks showed their Black Rapid straps, but all of them had them hooked by the normal strap lugs.
05-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I would think you should be fine, me... I would still rig up some form of secondary tether, I'm just a belt and braces kinda guy with things like this.
I would not use this type of attachment on my gear: K5 + grip + TC + DA*300/4 unless there is a "safety thingy", as you mentioned.
I second that!
05-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've been using BR clone straps for 5 years with no problems yet. These, actually: Black Single Shoulder Sling Belt Strap for DSLR Digital SLR Camera Quick Rapid | eBay
05-19-2015, 11:49 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I would not use this type of attachment on my gear: K5 + grip + TC + DA*300/4 unless there is a "safety thingy", as you mentioned.
I second that!
i regularly do that without a tether or safety thingy ...