Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2015, 05:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax k-3 in manual mode

I am seeing that Auto Focus does not work when i set my k-3 to manual mode. I need to switch to manual focus. This behavior seems to be strange to me. I thought manual modes is only for setting aperture, ISO and shutter speed. Please let me know if i am missing something here...

05-18-2015, 05:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual Mode controls the three exposure variables of aperture, shutter speed and ISO at the photographer's discretion. EV compensation is also set by the User in Manual Exposure Mode. AF remains operational.
05-18-2015, 05:57 AM   #3
Forum Member

How are you setting your camera to "manual mode"? Should be setting the top left dial to "M". The AF/MF switch should remain set to AF.

Regards,
Dan
05-18-2015, 05:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trumanusa Quote
I am seeing that Auto Focus does not work when i set my k-3 to manual mode. I need to switch to manual focus. This behavior seems to be strange to me. I thought manual modes is only for setting aperture, ISO and shutter speed. Please let me know if i am missing something here...
Do you mean the shooting mode dial M mode? AF/MF is depending whether the camera detects a lens when it is mounted on the camera. Once the camera detects the lens, then the focus system should work. In some situations, especially some of the older manual lenses comes with anodized lens mount, which does not allow the camera to detect the lens. In which case, you can use aluminium foil to short the lens-mount pins to make it work.

By the way, did it ever work before?

05-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If your lens has an A setting, leave it in A and use the control wheels to adjust aperture when using M mode.
If you take the lens out of A the camera no longer knows that it is an AF lens and will disable AF.
05-18-2015, 06:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like everyone says they are independent. The switch for af/mf is on the side. Maybe it was changed accidently or you put on a lens that is not capable of af. I have one that will give exposure but not auto focus
05-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the responses. let me put what happened. I was attending a photography training and i was trying to set the custom white balance. I was given a wireless flash trigger. i put it on. set the camera in manual mode(ISO-200, Aperture 7.1, shutter speed 1/125). Tried to focus. But no response. i was using sigma 17-50. Later on thought that it may be a lens issue, and changed to FA 77mm limited. Same issue. I had to shoot entire training in manual mode. i got around 50% good shots

Reached home, updated my firmware from 1.10 to 1.20. Now when i am Manual mode, AF works. I am still wondering what happened. Not sure what i was doing wrong.
05-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Not sure what i was doing wrong.
Your K-3 should work essentially the same as your K-5II for most functions. Normally I would say that the AF/MF lever on the left side of the camera near the lens mount was in the MF position. This also would not have been a firmware issue. There is the outside possibility that your camera is defective or has been damaged. I would suggest that you sit down with the manual, your K-3 and your FA 77 Limited and work through all the modes to thoroughly familiarize yourself with the camera. If your "walk through" reveals other faults, it may be time to talk to Ricoh/Pentax service.

BTW...I think we are assuming that you mean that the AF simply is not even attempting to focus. If that is not the case, there might be other causes.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-18-2015 at 08:53 AM.
05-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks steve. The lever was in AF mode. And the AF simply did not attempt to focus. I think i need to sit down and try to reproduce the issue.
05-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Thanks steve. The lever was in AF mode. And the AF simply did not attempt to focus. I think i need to sit down and try to reproduce the issue.
Good luck. In operation, your K-3 is very similar to the K-5II listed in your user profile and should not have presented you with the kind of surprise you encountered. There is the outside chance that a poor connection through the data contact (6 o'clock position) on the mount may have resulted in your lenses not being detected properly, but that is the only thing I am aware of outside of an internal fault that might cause the problems you describe.

Steve
05-19-2015, 06:57 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
The problem came back again yesterday. Found that all the modes, Aparture, shutter , program do not work as intended. That is Autofocus does not work in any of the modes. Strange thing is when set in USER mode, all the modes work as intended. Even the Manual mode works. Strange behavior.
05-21-2015, 12:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you set AF to the AF-button on the back instead of shutter button?
05-21-2015, 02:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The problem came back again yesterday. Found that all the modes, Aparture, shutter , program do not work as intended. That is Autofocus does not work in any of the modes. Strange thing is when set in USER mode, all the modes work as intended. Even the Manual mode works. Strange behavior.
If Fogel70's advise does not work, it's time to do a 'reset to factory settings'.