Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Setup for downloading and editing pics while traveling.

I use home computer with lightroom to download and edit pictures. Now I'm thinking how review and edit pictures when I'm away from home?

What to buy? Can I use the same lightroom disc to install it on mobile device as well, or should I buy it again?

05-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Lightroom license specifically allows you to install on two devices as long as you only use one at a time. So perfectly OK to have on home computer and laptop.

To use on the road you have two options:
1) Lightroom mobile which allows syncing between your devices. Check here
2) Using an "on the road" catalog which you then merge into your master catalog when you get home.
05-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
jatrax, thanks. Now here is the problem
, I also have no idea what laptop (or something else) to buy to transfer pictures from the memory card for editing? I'm not a huge fan of laptops.
05-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
jatrax, thanks. Now here is the problem
, I also have no idea what laptop (or something else) to buy to transfer pictures from the memory card for editing? I'm not a huge fan of laptops.
Then don't spend a lot on a laptop. For what you want to do a laptop with 4 GB of RAM should be enough to run Lightroom. Pretty much any $300 to $400 commodity laptop should be fine. You probably would want to wait till you get get home to do any real editing anyway.

05-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You probably would want to wait till you get get home to do any real editing anyway.
You are probably right. I may expropriate one of my sons old laptops for it to test how I like that idea in general.
05-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

do yourself a favor, put your money into several large Memory cards, And something to store them in instead. Make sure you mark them. Don't waste all your vacation time transferring images to a slow laptop. Wait until you get home. you could spend several hours transferring your pictures. you should be using this time to enjoy yourself or relaxing.

My brother and his wife tried to do that on one vacation, he said he was up till nearly Midnight transferring photos. He said he will never do that again.
05-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter

jatrax, thanks. Now here is the problem , I also have no idea what laptop (or something else) to buy to transfer pictures from the memory card for editing? I'm not a huge fan of laptops.
Depends on what you want to do "on the road". If all you need to do is review, maybe add keywords and delete really bad images then I agree with Boriscleto almost any modern laptop will be fine. The limits of the screen, both size and quality, will restrict you more than the speed of the computer.

If you want to actually develop images then you will need more horsepower and the best laptop screen you can get. But unless you have a good screen that can be calibrated I think processing on a laptop would be very frustrating. I would rather just wait until I get home.
05-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, laptop mostly for reviews. But it raises a question of extra weight to carry. Looks like it not really good idea

05-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Yes, laptop mostly for reviews. But it raises a question of extra weight to carry. Looks like it not really good idea
I've taken a laptop along with the intent to edit, keyword files at night to save time. It has never worked. I am always too tired or there is something else to go see. If I'm traveling I should be taking pictures not editing them. YMMV
05-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Then don't spend a lot on a laptop. For what you want to do a laptop with 4 GB of RAM should be enough to run Lightroom. Pretty much any $300 to $400 commodity laptop should be fine. You probably would want to wait till you get get home to do any real editing anyway.
Caution !! I just purchased Lightroom 6 for Windows. The system requirements are quite high. It will not load on my Aspire 1 laptop even though I am running Windows 7 and have 4 GB of memory. I need a serious upgrade to both my laptop and desktop in order to use this software.

Pentax Bob
05-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
do yourself a favor, put your money into several large Memory cards, And something to store them in instead. Make sure you mark them. Don't waste all your vacation time transferring images to a slow laptop. Wait until you get home. you could spend several hours transferring your pictures. you should be using this time to enjoy yourself or relaxing.

My brother and his wife tried to do that on one vacation, he said he was up till nearly Midnight transferring photos. He said he will never do that again.
What he said ... underlined and in blue above.
05-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I am with Jatrax on this. Laptops can be so frustrating. The screen is usually the biggest problem. Unless you can get something with an IPS screen, it is almost impossible to edit beyond culling and cropping. The colour rendition is not too good. Unless you are sitting right in front you will see all sorts of colour and contrast shift. Unfortunately IPS an screen means $$$$. One good thing though a laptop is a good backup device.
05-20-2015, 07:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A lot of people are using a good 10" tablet and a large usb drive these days to do this, and I have myself, but it's not ideal. It does however beat lugging a heavy laptop around during your vacation. It's hard to find a tablet though with enough ram to really run a larger photo editor like LR or PS. There are lightweight editors that will do you in a pinch, but for major edits you would likely need a proper laptop. I used to enjoy doing my edits at night, after the day was done, but then again I wasn't traveling with anyone.