Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

A pTTL flash does not require manual adjustments when it comes to ISO, aperture and focal length.

05-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A pTTL flash does not require manual adjustments when it comes to ISO, aperture and focal length.

Exactly. It doesn't require it but also its restrictive in allowing any creativity as any changes you make will have little
or no impact on the end result, the point I was making was that if using pttl the results weren't what he was after then changing mode or post processing were his best bet.
05-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #18
mee
Veteran Member

You won't have time to adjust your flash(es) on manual mode in a 'live' event like a wedding.. go for a P-TTL flash for your run and gun style shots. Get one that swivels and rotates so you can bounce the light from the flash onto walls or the ceiling (will reflect back, bigger light source as a result softer lighting.. ) or at least a diffusor of some sort. Deer in headlights look is not flattering coming from flash straight into the face with no diffusion hehe

As others have mentioned in their lens picks, you need fast lenses (large aperture). I'd go with a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 or the Tamron variant.. second-hand if on a budget. One of you taking a K-50 with the 17-50 on it and another with 77 or larger length on it. One wide and one long. Even at the 'worst', one of you will have 50mm covered and a wee bit of cropping room if need be. On crop camera bodies this shouldn't be a problem.

If you're not used to shooting in such a fast paced environment, I'd strongly recommend you practice. Have your wife walk into and out of rooms at home and interact with objects in the room.. try to take interesting/pleasing photos of her with the flash with various lighting while staying out of the way (no cheating and having her hold the pose for you!). It is a challenge! You will need a quick enough shutter speed setting to freeze the scene with a low enough ISO setting to minimize image noise all while focusing (no pun intended) on keeping the shots framed well and the right portions in... focus. In a dynamic environment this takes skill (and thus practice).

Post processing is also your friend.. shoot in RAW mode and get cozy with Photoshop, Lightroom, or the sort. haha
05-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the advantages of pTTL versus auto-thyristor is the fact, that you could leave the camera in Auto Mode, and just fire away. With an AF lens, not any setting needed.
But if you want to have a tiny bit of control (let's say regarding DOF), you would have to switch to Av or M. And now the handling would be exactly as with a modern auto-thyristor flash.
As an example, with an older Metz auto-thyristor flash you would set the camera to M mode and 1/180s, and the aperture to whatever you think is ok for the DOF you want. Now you can shoot without much thinking. The flash gets aperture und zoom setting automatically from the camera and adjusts accordingly (but don't use the aperture ring of a lens, set aperture from the body!).
So, handling between pTTL and auto-thyristor is only different if you want to stay in A (or any "green") mode of the camera.

05-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
As an example, with an older Metz auto-thyristor flash you would set the camera to M mode and 1/180s, and the aperture to whatever you think is ok for the DOF you want. Now you can shoot without much thinking. The flash gets aperture und zoom setting automatically from the camera and adjusts accordingly (but don't use the aperture ring of a lens, set aperture from the body!).
I guess that you mean 'newer Metz' And it requires the flash to have pTTL compatibility as well else the settings can't be exchanged; and pTTL compatibility is what makes flashes expensive.

Talking older auto-thyristor flash (you know, those that only have a X-contact or a PC connection ), you must match the (iso and aperture) settings on the flash to those on the camera (or the other way around). Easy in the film days because you basically used one ISO for a spool and usually set an appropriate aperture once off that would cater for most situations. And before we had those stupid zoom-heads to fake higher guide numbers, we did not have to bother about anything else.

But I suspect you know all this
05-27-2015, 02:50 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@sterretje
QuoteQuote:
I guess that you mean 'newer Metz' And it requires the flash to have pTTL compatibility as well else the settings can't be exchanged; and pTTL compatibility is what makes flashes expensive.

Talking older auto-thyristor flash (you know, those that only have a X-contact or a PC connection ), you must match the (iso and aperture) settings on the flash to those on the camera (or the other way around). Easy in the film days because you basically used one ISO for a spool and usually set an appropriate aperture once off that would cater for most situations. And before we had those stupid zoom-heads to fake higher guide numbers, we did not have to bother about anything else.

But I suspect you know all this
No, and most of your statements are wrong.

I am speaking about Metz flashes which
1) Use the SCA system (since the late seventies, all but the most simple ones do)
2) Can alternatively connect with 3-digit or 4-digit SCA adapters (started about end of the eighties)
3) Do offer motor zoom

The SCA adapters 371-374 support non-digital communication only and will be used for Pentax cameras up to the P series.
The SCA adapters 3701/3702 support the mixed analogue/digital protocol Pentax introduced with the AF cameras. Since that time, this protocol was often extended, but the older stuff still works; with the exception of displaying in the VF whether flash power had been sufficient.

pTTL capability of the flash is NOT needed.

I do own 2 pTTL flashes which do not get much use, as my Metz 32MZ-3 and 40MZ-2 give more consistant results.
With both adapters SCA3701 and SCA3702 these flashes get all relevant settings from the camera, as is ISO, aperture, and angle of view (includes zoom status and crop factor!). Even 1rst/2nd curtain works correctly.

As these flash series were introduced 20-25 years ago, I would indeed call them "older".

And the GNs of 32 and 40 were calculated for the old standard. A 40MZ would now be offered as a GN50 flash.

EDIT:
QuoteQuote:
1) Use the SCA system (since the late seventies, all but the most simple ones do).
This one of my statements is not correct anymore. It seems that lately the differences between flash features of the main brands became too big to be handled merely by the adapter firmware. So most (or all?) newer Metz flashes are brand dedicated ones.

Last edited by RKKS08; 05-27-2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Info added
05-27-2015, 11:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

No, and most of your statements are wrong.
As far as I see, the only incorrect statement was 'pTTL' Thanks for updating my knowledge. I never knew that TTL and pTTL were compatible on the protocol level. So it should have read 'pTTL' or 'TTL' which still made life more expensive in the days.

The SCA adapters 371-374 support non-digital communication only and will be used for Pentax cameras up to the P series.
The SCA adapters 3701/3702 support the mixed analogue/digital protocol Pentax introduced with the AF cameras. Since that time, this protocol was often extended, but the older stuff still works; with the exception of displaying in the VF whether flash power had been sufficient.
From https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/86727-metz-sca-371-dslr.html, it can be deduced that only the 4-digit SCA adapters copy the settings. Correct?

This one of my statements is not correct anymore. It seems that lately the differences between flash features of the main brands became too big to be handled merely by the adapter firmware. So most (or all?) newer Metz flashes are brand dedicated ones.
I think currently the 76 is the only current Metz flash that uses a SCA adapter. It's a pity because it was a brilliant idea in my opinion.

05-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SininStyle Quote
Thanks, you guys are great.
So with body at Adorama I can get the:
DA 35/f2.4 for $111.95
DA 50/f1.8 for $51.95
These prices are far lower then others as far as I see. I set my 18-135mm to those ranges and it felt pretty comfortable, though have to admit the 35mm is a fair bit closer then I am use to for a headshot. Don't think I'll be doing many headshots though, mostly waist up or ankle up.
Was very tempted to jump on the 70mm. Fair chunk of change right now on top of a 2nd body and 2 new lenses. Plus the fact I have budgets $100-150 for a good flash. If I can get a good flash and learn to make it work well I should be able to get the 18-135 to work well.

Been researching flashes and I am fairly sure I want P-TTL. Seems it makes it easier for the basic use of a flash. I know it doesnt solve the creative uses but appears to help ease the learning curve. The body comes with a free flash but it looks like its nothing more then the onboard flash with more power. Probably more trouble than its worth. It is free so might be useful outside to kill some shadows on low power.
What a fantastic deal on the K-50 with two primes! With the free flash I might suggest some type of mini softbox, since it doesn't tilt. I have the flash and one of those, they will work together. There is also the plastic diffusers that could help.

And if you still think you need another lens for the event, you can rent them too. I rented a lens from cameralensrentals.com, they ship it to you and provide the means to ship it back, very good service.

And if possible, check out that venues the best you can ahead of time. The indoor place, and at the beach, are there features you can use like trees or piers?
05-29-2015, 11:14 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So being out on a beach I thought maybe a polarizer would be a good idea. Know nothing of filters other then the basics. Having 3 lenses are universal or do you need one for each size?
Like all things there is useless cheap versions and over priced brand names. Where does the affordable quality kick in?

That softbox looks like a brilliant idea. will allow me to make some use out of the cheap freebie flash , thanks !