Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #1

Lens stuck half on/ half off camera

I have a Sears 135mm lens with the Ricoh pin removed. My husband bought it for me to shoot macro with. So, I put it on this morning- or try to put it on and it gets stuck pretty much after ~5 degrees of turning.

The good news is that there is some wiggly play of about 1-2 degrees back and forth.

The bad news is that it is most definitely stuck on the camera body (a K-r)

Any words of advice to get this bad boy off and into the trash?

The lens does have an auto aperture pin and I'm suspecting that this is what is getting stuck. I've tried removing the lens with the auto aperture engaged and disarmed.

I've also tried placing downward pressure on the lens and turning and distracting the lens while trying to remove.

I've also tried all of the above while trying to finish putting the lens on so that I can at least take some pictures!

No dice so far.

Last edited by VBW; 05-26-2015 at 07:52 AM.
05-26-2015, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #2

Did you try taking the aperture ring off the "P" setting?
05-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #3
VBW

Original Poster
Yes, I have. Trying to play around with a feeler gauge right now, still no dice.
05-26-2015, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
try to set the camera to MF, push the lens towards the camera generally and turn it again.
It should be able to be removed. don't panic. The worst case is you damage the mount ring on the camera and it costs only $20 to replace.

05-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
VBW

Original Poster
Still trying all of the above, no luck

Does anyone know where the sweet spot is for placing the feeler gauge?

My husband is contemplating getting out a saw- and only half joking :/
05-26-2015, 08:30 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, are you absolutely sure the pin was removed? I've never heard of a circumcised Ricoh lens getting stuck like that before. The auto-aperture contact is rounded and as such its safe (or should be) and would retract the moment you took the lens off the (A)P setting anyhow.

I'm assuming you know the pin's location for when you extract the lens from the camera, but heres where it is anyways just in case from my 135.. The 'Not Safe" spot of course being the pin. The rest is fine to leave as-is.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Sagitta; 05-26-2015 at 08:42 AM.
05-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
VBW

Original Poster
GOT IT! Thanks for the pic! It showed me right where to put the feeler gauge (below the "Korea" near the MF/AF switch.)

Looks like the pin had not been removed after all- they had removed another pin instead.... GRRR....

Well, here's to learning to triple check lenses bought on ebay.

05-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #8

Well that is good news. I hope the seller gave you the pin they removed so you can put the lens back together and modify it properly.
05-26-2015, 11:08 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VBW Quote
GOT IT!
A great result, certainly gave you a few scary moments there.