Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2015, 02:45 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Camera Pentax k-30 Drop in a pool

My Camera Pentax k-30 Drop in a pool. It stop. Isee in youtube that put the body and the lens including baterry and SD card in the box filled with rice which i do it already! After two weeks i put on my camera and appears alright. But my problem now when i make shots the photo i make is not save to SD Card and on live view (LV) is no working and it is totally black. Can this Problem of mine can be fix?

05-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter

It's probably fixable but the question is if the cost of fixing it is justifiable. The body is Weather Resistant not water proof. Submerging it underwater may have done more damage that you think, sorry to say.
05-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow! Sorry to read about your K-30. The SD card slot may have some dried chlorine corrosion from the pool water. Can you take some stiffer lens tissue paper and try rubbing it inside the slot? Keep the slot facing toward the ground so any bits will fall out of the camera. You might not get all the corrosion out but maybe enough to remove a short between pins to enable writing to the SD card. I imagine a similar problem is preventing LV from working - a short between pins and contacts. Getting inside the camera for that may be too difficult. Perhaps K57XR above is correct. Getting the camera professionally fixed is more expensive than simply buying a replacement. A used K-30 may be the way to go unless you upgrade to a newer model.
05-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Used K-30's can be had for less than $275 now. It would probably cost you way more to fix it. I'd go for the new camera. Note I came THISCLOSE to doing that with my K-x once. I slid on a pool deck while shooting and fell right next to the pool. It went up and then landed on my lap fortunately but another 4 inches and it would have been history I am sure....

06-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jahzeelgface Quote
My Camera Pentax k-30 Drop in a pool. It stop. Isee in youtube that put the body and the lens including baterry and SD card in the box filled with rice which i do it already! After two weeks i put on my camera and appears alright. But my problem now when i make shots the photo i make is not save to SD Card and on live view (LV) is no working and it is totally black. Can this Problem of mine can be fix?
I dropped my Kx into a stream for about 4 seconds before I could pull it out. It did not work for about a day but when it finally dried out it worked fine. The water was from a stream so it was not exposed to chlorine which I suppose can be corrosive. I found that my Kx did not take in any large amount of water even though it is not weather resistant. Maybe your camera will work if you allow it to completely dry out. A description of my water immersion adventure is given in a thread in the Forum's "Pentax DSLR Discussion". Good luck.
06-25-2015, 03:37 AM   #6
Banned

Just leave it that way until it gets dried up. After drying up, if still problem persists, then other
measures can be taken.

Last edited by renault; 06-25-2015 at 03:37 AM. Reason: grammar
06-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
Forum Member

Whenever something like this gets dropped in water, remove battery at once! Every pcb is washed in distilled water at one point in its life, components installed and everything. Remove lens and dunk in distilled water, swish it around and drain. Let dry for 24 hours minimum in indirect sunlight. A warm car is perfect. You can also put it in a plastic airtight bin with some dry rice or even the fridgerator as it is very dry in there for a few days, but let it thaw to room temp for 1 hour before installing battery. Lens gets same treatment, distilled water rinse and air dry. The salts in chlorinated water and minerals in tap water are killers to glass and pcb traces.
06-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brand new K50's are around $280 - you may just have to bite the bullet. You can do as indicated above, dunk and wash in distilled water and redry. My guess is it is too late. Corrosive is not even strong enough of a word depending on the pool.

07-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Waterprotected items usually just use gaskets to seperate inside from outside.

Waterproof things are designed in a way that increasing pressure automatcally tightens gaskets / improves separation.
Waterproof watches, airplane doors and any opening in submarines use such a construction. The higher the pressure, the tighter it gets.

And dropping something in a pool may be more problematic than dropping for a moment in a stream. Pressure difference in water increases about 10% for each meter of depth.
07-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Waterprotected items usually just use gaskets to seperate inside from outside.

Waterproof things are designed in a way that increasing pressure automatcally tightens gaskets / improves separation.
Waterproof watches, airplane doors and any opening in submarines use such a construction. The higher the pressure, the tighter it gets.

And dropping something in a pool may be more problematic than dropping for a moment in a stream. Pressure difference in water increases about 10% for each meter of depth.
Yes, you're right. Although I pulled my Kx out of the stream after a few seconds, some water ingress did occur and it took about a day to dry out and work properly again. It's still OK after several weeks so the "clean" water hasn't corroded any of the circuits, thank God. Chlorinated water may be another matter.