Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

New to DSLR and K50 video/memory cd.?

I just tried my new K50 for first time using video w/ a 32 GB memory card. The card was empty, and the video stopped after 16+ min. The manual says I should get 25 minutes for a 4GB card. The settings were all at the highest quality, and the camera did not feel hot.

1. Is this normal?
2. How do I know if the memory card is full, or the amount of room left on it?

I thank you for the beginner's help in advance.

05-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rtgold Quote
1. Is this normal?
Yes. Once the file reaches 4Gb, the camera wills top recording. The remaining time should be shown on the screen during recording.

25 minutes is just an estimate, since actual file size will depend on what you're shooting. At higher ISOs you might also get higher file sizes.

2. How do I know if the memory card is full, or the amount of room left on it?
Swap over to an image shooting mode and look at the number of remaining images, or simply check to see if the video timer is lower than normal.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-27-2015, 05:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
Adam,

Thanks. Does this also mean that when the video stops after 4 GB's are used, I can restart and record an additional 4 GB's, as long as there is more than 4 GB's left on the memory card?
08-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #4

Adam,

Thanks. Does this also mean that when the video stops after 4 GB's are used, I can restart and record an additional 4 GB's, as long as there is more than 4 GB's left on the memory card?
Yes. There doesn't even need to be 4GB of empty space left. The camera will stop recording when the card is full.