Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Noob question....

Hello again,
Right folks today I got My K-S1 replaced as the one I bought last Saturday was faulty......However while I was at the shop I picked up a .....
Tamron Tele-Macro lens, was taking some pictures with it, and happy with the results... As I was taking the lens off I noticed something where the lens joins the camera.
There is a line of numbers... A 32 22 16 11 8 5.6 4.... I'm assuming this controls the aperture.....so my question is if I'm using auto would that select the aperture size for me or would I still have to do it manually......

05-26-2015, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Copey Quote
There is a line of numbers... A 32 22 16 11 8 5.6 4.... I'm assuming this controls the aperture.....so my question is if I'm using auto would that select the aperture size for me or would I still have to do it manually......
This is the aperture ring. it is a legacy function and though you CAN use it on modern cameras there is no real reason to want to. Always leave it on the 'A' setting and forget it.

If you ever see "F _ _" on your camera it means that you have taken the lens off the 'A' setting and the camera no longer sees the lens.

There are a few uses for the aperture ring, such as with non-A extension tubes. But for general shooting, put it on 'A' and forget you ever heard of it.
05-26-2015, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

If you want the camera to control the aperture, you put the aperture ring on the lens into the 'A' position.
05-26-2015, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does it have an "A" where the numbers are? If so, shoot on the "AV" setting on your camera. Then you can choose the aperture on the camera and it will automatically select the correct shutter speed.

05-26-2015, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteQuote:
This is the aperture ring. it is a legacy function and though you CAN use it on modern cameras there is no real reason to want to. Always leave it on the 'A' setting and forget it.
Actually, I can think of a few scenarios where you might want to use it - time lapses shot with manual apertures have slighty less flicker, because the aperture is static. And, I know you have a KS1, but there was some questioning in a previous post as to how complicated it was to get a K-5 to shoot bracketed HDR panoramas with consistant exposures, but it would be a breeze with a lens with a manual aperture ring. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/197247-hdr-panorama-k-5-mu...nual-lens.html
05-27-2015, 01:25 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you everyone

---------- Post added 05-27-15 at 01:33 AM ----------

and now a follow up question...can you put pics up directly.....or do you have to use Photobucket etc
05-27-2015, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #7
amateur dirt farmer...

Thank you everyone

---------- Post added 05-27-15 at 01:33 AM ----------

and now a follow up question...can you put pics up directly.....or do you have to use Photobucket etc

did you mean 'can you post pictures directly to this forum'? if so - yes.... the easiest way is to create an album and post pictures there, then post them into specific posts/threads/forums from there....
05-27-2015, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

You can but the storage limit is not huge. If you have a Flickr account or other photo storage that is the simplest way. But either works.

06-12-2015, 04:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The A setting will allow your camera to operate in any of its' auto exposure modes' (ie P, Av, Tv, Tav, Sv) and provide you with exposure control just like with a modern lens . This is because the lens aperture is ' coupled ' to the camera with the aperture lever and the camera can tell from that what is the widest aperture on the lens. By knowing this the camera can calculate the required exposure according to your aperture setting on the camera and set the shutter time and ISO accordingly (depending on mode).

The a position on an aperture ring is a feature of quite a few fairly modern AF lenses, but what is really extraordinary is how we Pentax shooters can still make use of it on our old manual focus lenses going back to the '80s' (such as the SMC A series lenses).