Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K3 Shutter mis-fire

While taking pictures yesterday, my K3 suddenly started 'rapid-firing' and it kept going after I turned it off. It only happened once so far.

I had this problem with either my K5 or K7 but can't remember what it was called. If I remember right, it was the mother board before. Has anyone else experienced this with a K3?

Sorry, I don't know the shutter count on the camera.

Tammy

05-26-2015, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

It's happened with my K5; usually solved by removing and reinserting the battery. A few days ago my K3 had something similar and totally spooky. I had just changed lenses and after powering on the drive settings got spontaneously changed to high speed continuous. Nothing, including turning off and back on, or even removing the battery seemed to solve the issue. When back home I did a complete factory reset after writing down my preferred settings. Thankfully everything is back to normal. I put my settings in a memo on my phone so I can do a reset in the field if necessary.

I hope it's not a bad or failing motherboard - can't stand to be without my K3 for any length of time.

Last edited by jamarley; 05-26-2015 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spell correction
05-26-2015, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds as if you may be experiencing the runaway shutter/crazy mirror problem that is known to afflict some K-3. If the camera is still under warranty, you should contact Ricoh to arrange repair. If not under repair, firmware version 1.11 and higher contains a partial fix that will help prevent physical damage to the camera. The full fix consists of a re-flash of low level firmware that can only be done at an authorized repair facility.

Steve
05-26-2015, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxCats Quote
While taking pictures yesterday, my K3 suddenly started 'rapid-firing' and it kept going after I turned it off. It only happened once so far.

I had this problem with either my K5 or K7 but can't remember what it was called. If I remember right, it was the mother board before. Has anyone else experienced this with a K3?

Sorry, I don't know the shutter count on the camera.

Tammy
it's called mirror flop. The v1.11 firmware (I believe) fixed this in the sense that the camera will detect the issue and power itself off. Don't install the v1.20 firmware as it has another minor issue in it.

Maintaining a high battery voltage and using genuine batteries helps reduce the risk of the issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-26-2015, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

What Stevebrot said. On my k-3 this has happened twice in maybe 40,000 actuations. On the k-5 this type of issue seemed to get worse and eventually required repair. On the k-3 it seems to be less an issue and very infrequent. Newer firmware contains a 'fix' that seems to reduce the frequency of the problem and when it does happen allow the camera to exit from the error gracefully.

Check your firmware version and update if needed. If it happens regularly I would consider warranty repair. But if this is the first time I would check the firmware first.
05-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
It's happened with my K5; usually solved by removing and reinserting the battery. A few days ago my K3 had something similar and totally spooky. I had just changed lenses and after powering on the drive settings got spontaneously changed to high speed continuous. Nothing, including turning off and back on, or even removing the battery seemed to solve the issue. When back home I did a complete factory reset after writing down my preferred settings. Thankfully everything is back to normal. I put my settings in a memo on my phone so I can do a reset in the field if necessary.

I hope it's not a bad or failing motherboard - can't stand to be without my K3 for any light of time.
Thanks for the info everyone! I'll check and see what version of firmware is on it, and will update to anything but 1.2.

Thanks again!
05-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
it's called mirror flop. The v1.11 firmware (I believe) fixed this in the sense that the camera will detect the issue and power itself off. Don't install the v1.20 firmware as it has another minor issue in it.

Maintaining a high battery voltage and using genuine batteries helps reduce the risk of the issue.
Adam,

The Ricoh site shows 2 firmware updates 1.03 & 1.20. I know you were not sure about the 'first' update, but wanted to verify that 1.03 is the one you were recommending.

My Pentax (brand) batteries were down by 1/3d, but I've not had it happen before with this camera. Thanks for the help!

Thanks!
Tammy
05-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter

The Ricoh site shows 2 firmware updates 1.03 & 1.20.
I believe 1.11 is the version you want. 1.2 just came out with some additions for the new lenses but unfortunately has a small bug.
My Pentax (brand) batteries were down by 1/3d, but I've not had it happen before with this camera.
Whatever causes this issue it is not only battery condition. Since it happens so infrequently I believe it is a combination of things likely including battery status and some unknown number of other factors.

05-27-2015, 01:19 AM   #9

Adam,

The Ricoh site shows 2 firmware updates 1.03 & 1.20. I know you were not sure about the 'first' update, but wanted to verify that 1.03 is the one you were recommending.

My Pentax (brand) batteries were down by 1/3d, but I've not had it happen before with this camera. Thanks for the help!

Thanks!
Tammy
Yes that is a problem, but go to Downloads - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.
scroll down to K3 for 1.11
05-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Since it happens so infrequently I believe it is a combination of things likely including battery status and some unknown number of other factors.
There was a concise potential explanation on another thread that suggested that there may be an unexpected voltage on the common side of some logic gates. The result is a feedback loop that cycles the mirror uncontrollably. According to the commenter, this sort of thing is not uncommon in the world of electronic control circuits and is the result of a poor design by either Ricoh or one of their suppliers. Such cases are very difficult to test for and often difficult to correct.

Steve
05-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There was a concise potential explanation on another thread that suggested that there may be an unexpected voltage on the common side of some logic gates. The result is a feedback loop that cycles the mirror uncontrollably. According to the commenter, this sort of thing is not uncommon in the world of electronic control circuits and is the result of a poor design by either Ricoh or one of their suppliers. Such cases are very difficult to test for and often difficult to correct.
I didn't see that as a layman that makes sense. Something happens, and it happens very infrequently so it is not a situation that would be easy to test for. On my camera twice in 40,000 actuations. And both of mine happened with the DA 12-24 on. So I can envision a situation where the battery reaches a condition, and the lens on the camera has a particular condition, and maybe the temperature is within a particular range and maybe something else and off we go into an uncontrollable loop. Or maybe I have no idea what is going on
05-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Bophoto for the proper link to the firmware updates, I'm not sure why the site I was on did not show the same list. I'm off for a few days and will do the update and test it (& charge the batteries) hopefully tomorrow.

Great info & advice from everyone! Thanks again
Tammy
05-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #13

newer fw just released... Sorry for lack of a link. 1.21 ...