Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #1

Pentax K-x No Card In Camera Error

Hi Everyone,

I am having a bit of an issue with my K-x, It has worked fine for the last years and I leant it to someone on the weekend and now whenever I try taking a picture it says no card in camera. I have tried over a dozen different cards ranging from 2gb up to 32 gb and get the same error every time. I have tried formatting the card in my mac and pc and still get the error. I have also reset the camera (is there a way to do a hard factory reset?)

I have checked and its running version 1.0 and I would like to update it but I need the SD card to do so I believe? If there is a way around this please let me know. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

05-27-2015, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisWMedia Quote
Hi Everyone,

I am having a bit of an issue with my K-x, It has worked fine for the last years and I leant it to someone on the weekend and now whenever I try taking a picture it says no card in camera. I have tried over a dozen different cards ranging from 2gb up to 32 gb and get the same error every time. I have tried formatting the card in my mac and pc and still get the error. I have also reset the camera (is there a way to do a hard factory reset?)

I have checked and its running version 1.0 and I would like to update it but I need the SD card to do so I believe? If there is a way around this please let me know. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
You do need to update the firmware to be able to use SDXC cards (>=32Gb), but SDHC cards should work out of the box.

Try formatting the card in-camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-27-2015, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Try formatting the card in-camera.
I don't believe that is possible if the card is not detected.

I have tried formatting the card in my mac and pc and still get the error.
That is a possible cause for the problem. The reasons are complex, but often formatting the card using your PC or (particularly) Mac results in an unreadable card for other devices. Reformat your card using the program available from download from the SD Association Web site:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

Steve
05-27-2015, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is a possible cause for the problem. The reasons are complex, but often formatting the card using your PC or (particularly) Mac results in an unreadable card for other devices. Reformat your card using the program available from download from the SD Association Web site:
One thing that might work is to format to FAT and make sure you select the full format option rather than quick format.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
No Joy

I have formatted using that program and still no luck. Any other ideas? I really would love to get it working again....
05-27-2015, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

I have formatted using that program and still no luck. Any other ideas? I really would love to get it working again....
You might try a good contact cleaner, such as Deoxit, in case the SD card contacts within the camera body have become dirty/oxidized. The slot is too narrow to insert anything but an SD card, so apply the cleaner (I wouldn't use a spray to spray into the camera) to an SD card, insert it, extract it, wait a bit, and see if it helped.
05-27-2015, 04:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks will give that a go. I feel like it's software rather than hardware though. The contacts look perfect to me but at this stage willing to try anything. thanks

05-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It has worked fine for the last years and I leant it to someone on the weekend and now whenever I try taking a picture it says no card in camera.
You may want to talk to your friend.

Steve
05-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It doesn't sound like a software problem. The camera is saying it physically can't find the card.

Since your problem came after another person used the camera, it seems likely that they stuffed something up. I've seen people try and ram SD cards into cameras and phones and card readers on computers entirely the wrong way. Sometimes people also don't learn how to extract the card properly, and just wrench it out.

Alternatively, something is simply crudding up the contacts in the camera. Rocket blower it, or try something like this SD reader cleaning tool:

http://www.amazon.com/Laserline-Clear-Connections-Memory-Cleaner/dp/B0009WX4B6
05-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #10
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also make sure nothing is present in the slot that prevents the sd card from properly seating.
05-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I just read this post (below in quotes) from another thread in case you are interested in possibly doing a reset to initial settings. The sd card slot cleaning tool that was just mentioned has some good reviews about remedying sd card reading in cameras also, in case you have not looked there yet. The path below will bring you to the thread where the K-x reset is mentioned. Of course I am not sure, but as was discussed already in this thread, one or both of the SD slot contacts are possibly blocked or damaged.

This is the quote from the "K-x Reset" thread.

"Besides the reset Custom Settings there is a Reset to Initial Settings under the Set-Up menu. I have never done this so I do not know exactly what it does but I do know that it's different from the reset custom settings so hopefully that will help you."

This is a path to the thread itself.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/125971-k-x-facto...#ixzz3bTMDDjUG

---------- Post added 05-28-15 at 06:05 PM ----------

I know that this is a matter of personal preference, but I myself never lend out my equipment. When it is not supervised or in a good bag with locks on it, it is hard to tell what could happen to it.