Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
sunshine7913

Overexposing film.

Hi guys, I have one issue about overexposing film.

I know the concept of overexposing film but I have a problem.

I'm using Pentax 67 and the TTL light meter is broken. IDK why. So I probably gonna use Canon 5d mark 2 as a light meter like Stever Mccurry did.

From this point, I'm not sure to rate the iso from 400 to 200 and then shoot in iso 400 or 200 for canon 5d mark2.

How should I do after I rate the iso into 200?

05-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the meter is broken on the 6x7 then you are shooting manual, so ISO setting is not relevant.

If you want to over expose by a stop shoot the canon at ISO400 and +1 on EV comp
05-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What type of film are you using? Slide Film, Color Negative, Black & White? It makes a huge difference. I remember Steve McCurry using a digital camera in the way you're describing on his last roll off Kodachrome because he had to make every shot count, but you could always bracket.

It sounds like you're trying to pull one stop. Different people have different ways of doing this, I prefer not to "rate" the film (i.e. set the wrong ISO in the camera), but just see what the actual reading is and do the math in my head. So if the "correct" exposure is f/5.6 at 1/60th, I'll ether go with f/5.6 at 1/30th or f/4 at 1/60th depending on whether I'm trying to freeze or blur motion, and also whether I'm shooting hand held.
06-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #4

Sunshine, you may be referring to the logic in film of exposing for shadows and developing for highlights. You can push or pull a film in the developing stage to treat it differently than it was shot. Digitally this would be like going in to Photoshop and playing with the raw file, not so much setting anything different on your camera.

Also, you can change the exposure manually on your digital to over or under expose a scene and get a desired outcome to the shot, and do the same settings on your film camera to replicate it.

Last edited by johnsey; 06-04-2015 at 05:30 AM.