Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A friends external 1Tb HD was accidentally formatted by a relative and she asked me to recover the files. I used the Photorec program and it pulled off the files mentioned above but also hundreds of MP3s and video files as well. Took 2 days or so to run through the file trees and needed a second 1Tb HD to gather up the recovered files. I stopped the process when it stopped finding files after a considerable wait. Now she has to rename everything though...

05-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
yeah, but this one was 6 months old, and my last 2 only lasted 6 months each
You might have counterfeit ones.

I'm quite sure that SanDisk will actually be very interested to hear that somebody manages to 'destroy' their cards in such a short period of time.
05-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
it pulled off the files mentioned above but also hundreds of MP3s and video files as well
Oops! I hope there was nothing embarrassing!

Steve
05-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #19
Pentaxian

No nothing like that... Torrent download s I think. So many I didn't bother opening them.

05-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I just transferred a month's worth of new DNG files from my K-3 to my computer. When I opened them up in Lightroom, they were all corrupted:

Attachment 270122

So I tried opening them with PhotoNinja, with the same result.

However I can open the files in my camera and convert them to JPGs just fine, which leads me to believe all the necessary information is still in the files. So why are these DNG files suddenly showing up as corrupt on all my desktop software?

I've been using this K-3 to take thousands upon thousands of DNG photos with this exact same workflow for 1.5 years now. This sudden change is a little disconcerting.

---------- Post added 05-28-15 at 12:29 PM ----------

Nevermind, just figured it out. My card reader is corrupting all my files as I transfer them. That means I just ruined a month's worth of photos because I already formatted the card after I confirmed the photos were transferred.
Just had a very similar experience with K-3 and RAW files, but only select files corrupted with strange purple and yellow hues. So came looking for corruption issues to see if reported or common problem. Your edit at least put me on the right track.

Mine also seems to be a copy related issue. Fortunately I had not deleted from SD card, so currently reworking faulty files.