Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 - M42 adapter - sitting with major problem

Hello
I was trying to test an M42 lens with proper adapter on my K3.
The MAJOR problem I?m sitting with now is the adapter , I do not know why and how, rotated in a wrong position . Now I''m sitting with it mounted on my k3 camera in the position shown.
I CANNOT REMOVE the adapter, No way rotating with button pressed or not.
Can anybody tell me what to do ?

Many thanks in advance

Attached Images

05-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Can you un-screw the lens?

Is this the Pentax adapter or a knock-off?

What do you mean by 'proper'?
05-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure i completetly understand...can you unscrew the lens from the adapter and then remove the adapter from the camera?
05-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It looks like a 3rd party flanged adapter - no infinity focus unless the adapter has a lens. These should have on notch on them that the mount locking pin fits into. How it rotated into this position is a mystery. The screw-drive shaft for autofocus is the only other thing that would stick out of the mount. Try switching the AF selector to Manual Focus which should retract the drive shaft. Otherwise try getting between the adapter and the mount with a feeler gauge and maybe you can get the shaft or lock pin to retract.

05-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MaxCoFoto Quote
I do not know why and how, rotated in a wrong position
That should not be an issue; it's quite normal that you don't get the markings perfectly aligned (although this is the worst I've ever seen).
Unscrew the lens, next remove the adapter (it probably came with some kind of tool).
05-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
My Pentax adapters do not release with the button you have to remove the lens and then reach into the adapter to release them as they are flush to the mount. Are you sure the lens isn't just screwed tightly into the adapter?
05-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks... Problem solved meanwhile ... grrrrrr
05-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

This should be the proper adapter

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
This should be the proper adapter
Yep! Sits fully inside the mount and is loose, not tight, when inserted. Does not come with removal tool...none needed.

Steve
05-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Hello
I was trying to test an M42 lens with proper adapter on my K3.
The MAJOR problem I?m sitting with now is the adapter , I do not know why and how, rotated in a wrong position . Now I''m sitting with it mounted on my k3 camera in the position shown.
Can anybody tell me what to do ?

Many thanks in advance
The adapter cannot be removed without first unscrewing the lens. I believe that this applies to adaptors manufactured by third-parties, as well as to the adaptor manufactured by Pentax. With the Pentax-manufactured adaptor you use a pen to reach into the gap and move the little metal tab. It should then be easily removable by hand.
05-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
The adapter cannot be removed without first unscrewing the lens. I believe that this applies to adaptors manufactured by third-parties, as well as to the adaptor manufactured by Pentax. With the Pentax-manufactured adaptor you use a pen to reach into the gap and move the little metal tab. It should then be easily removable by hand.
You don't even need a pens with the Pentax adapter, though that's how the instructions say to do it. All you need is a finger nail.
05-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Again, it looks like a third party flanged (black) adapter to me. Look at the photo above. Notice the black ring with the red notch against the camera body and lens mount. This is not the focus/f-stop indicator of the lens which is above the aperture ring aligned with f8 and 15 feet on the distance scale. The red notch is aligned with the 5 meter mark on the lens and about 1/3rd the way between the f8 and f5.6 marks on the aperture ring.

Note there are several of the genuine Pentax adapters listed on eBay at this very moment with buy-it-now prices below $30.00.

Glad you solved the problem.