Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2015, 07:20 PM   #1

Firmware update

I have been trying for an hour to load update...121...Camera does not display message for updating. Have reformatted card several times..followed instructions and still nothing..Was Ok for original 1.11 update..Very frustrating...what am I doing wrong???

05-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's almost always the case that the update file isn't where it's supposed to be, or that it hasn't been extracted. Is the .bin file in the root of the SD card, and did you download the right update?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjbatch Quote
I have been trying for an hour to load update...121...Camera does not display message for updating. Have reformatted card several times..followed instructions and still nothing..Was Ok for original 1.11 update..Very frustrating...what am I doing wrong???
I think the camera update only takes from SD card slot 1. Did you try it with the SD card in slot 2?
05-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
Forum Member

I tried it with a garage sale Kx (display doesnt work) and used the youtube video to emulate the screen. put in SD card, held menu during power up, used the up arrow key to highlight YES and hit OK. The cameras blue light went out about 2 minutes later. does that mean the firmware update went through? I power cycled camera and the blue light came back on again (new batteries) but I still have no display :-(

05-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by pishta Quote
I tried it with a garage sale Kx (display doesnt work) and used the youtube video to emulate the screen. put in SD card, held menu during power up, used the up arrow key to highlight YES and hit OK. The cameras blue light went out about 2 minutes later. does that mean the firmware update went through? I power cycled camera and the blue light came back on again (new batteries) but I still have no display :-(
If the display was already broken why would you expect it to come back to life? The firmware update definitely sounds like it was applied, but odds are that the cable connecting the LCD to the body is either broken or disconnected.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pishta Quote
Sounds odd to me; if the LED display does not work; how do you even get the screen to prompt you for YES?
05-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #7
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
I just did mine. Like the instructions said, held the menu button down while turning the power on -- went right to the update screen. Slot one is used (per the instructions).

05-29-2015, 05:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If you are using a mac and have done an update previously the file name is probably wrong.
05-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone...Tried everything except extracting file first..will give that a go....Yes I am using a mac.
05-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by kjbatch Quote
Thanks everyone...Tried everything except extracting file first..will give that a go....Yes I am using a mac.
I have a K-3 and a Mac; I was able to easily update the firmware to 1.21 today. *Yes*, do do have to extract the update file from the download. You should end up with a file labled "fwdc220b.bin". That is the file you need to copy to the SD card.