Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-31-2015, 04:50 AM   #1

DA* 50-135 help (NH)

The lens does not focus at infinity on my K-5. I have sent the lens in to precision camera three times and this last time they sent it back with a note basically saying the lens is fine. Anyone local to seacoast NH who would be willing to try the lens on their camera for me in exchange for a free coffee?? I have all these end of year events for the kids and would love to have this figured out. I am considering just buying a new camera, but all my other lenses are working fine on the trusty K-5.

05-31-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a picture using the lens focused to infinity and post it here.
05-31-2015, 08:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
Name:  focus test.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  143.7 KB

I attempted to focus on the basketball rim. No editing - just converted to jpg.
05-31-2015, 09:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Are you focusing manually? If auto-focus, what mode?

06-01-2015, 06:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Are you focusing manually? If auto-focus, what mode?
Won't focus manually or in either Auto mode. This picture was taken in AF.C. The camera won't focus on anything beyond about 30 feet with this lens mounted. Focus doesn't hunt, it just reaches infinity and stops. I am not at all technical, so not really sure how to better describe it. Precision Camera claims the lens is in perfect working order, but it doesn't do me much good if it doesn't focus past 30 feet.
06-01-2015, 07:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Set to Manual focus. Manually focus the lens to the infinity mark.
Choose a subject for infinity focus: the moon, a high-contrast cloud, the horizon, something far, far away. At least a mile distant.
Take a picture and post it with EXIF data intact.
06-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Squirrel Quote
Won't focus manually or in either Auto mode.
Are you saying that if you disengage AF, you can't manually focus beyond 30ft? I don't mean using focus confirm, I mean using the optical viewfinder or live view to determine focus. As for the above photo, the rim appears to be the focus point.

Steve

06-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Set to Manual focus. Manually focus the lens to the infinity mark.
Choose a subject for infinity focus: the moon, a high-contrast cloud, the horizon, something far, far away. At least a mile distant.
Take a picture and post it with EXIF data intact.
I will try to do this today/tomorrow. thanks for the help

---------- Post added 06-02-15 at 01:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you saying that if you disengage AF, you can't manually focus beyond 30ft? I don't mean using focus confirm, I mean using the optical viewfinder or live view to determine focus. As for the above photo, the rim appears to be the focus point.

Steve
Correct Steve - I cannot find focus using the optical viewfinder. There are times when the camera doesn't even allow me to take the picture.
06-03-2015, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I cannot find focus using the optical viewfinder.
And is the same true for live view? The purpose of the question is to rule out the optical system as the source of the problem. If you can attain manual focus in live view the lens is optically capable.

There are times when the camera doesn't even allow me to take the picture.
This is to be expected for AF-S. In that mode the shutter will not release until focus is attained. AF-C, on the other hand will allow shutter release even when the subject is not in focus.

To be explicit, here is the troubleshooting flow:

Able to manually attain focus at distance using live view (by visual examination)?
If no, attempt with a known good lens. If that fails there is a problem with the sensor position inside the camera.

If Yes, continue...

Able to attain far manual focus confirm using the viewfinder (PDAF)?
If No, there is problem with the PDAF system...body fault

If Yes, continue

Able to attain far AF using live view (CDAF) or viewfinder (PDAF)?
If No to both, probable failure of the in-lens focus motor or controller...lens fault

If No to CDAF only, problem with CDAF subsystem...body fault

If No to PDAF only, problem with PDAF subsystem...body fault

If Yes to both, everything is working!

I hope this helps.

Steve
06-04-2015, 07:44 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
To be explicit, here is the troubleshooting flow:
It seems that I cannot obtain far focus using either the viewfinder or live view. I can obtain far focus on other lenses just fine. My battery just died, so charging now and will play some more. Thanks Steve for the flow - I feel completely inadequate troubleshooting this as this is just a hobby of mine and clearly don't have the familiarity with the camera/lenses as most on this forum. Following your logic, this is a problem with the lens, which precision camera states is in working order. This has been in 3 times for repair of the same problem and the last time I contacted someone from Pentax directly who expedited everything for me. I honestly have some concern that this could be operator error at this point.
06-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It seems that I cannot obtain far focus using either the viewfinder or live view. I can obtain far focus on other lenses just fine. My battery just died, so charging now and will play some more. Thanks Steve for the flow - I feel completely inadequate troubleshooting this as this is just a hobby of mine and clearly don't have the familiarity with the camera/lenses as most on this forum. Following your logic, this is a problem with the lens, which precision camera states is in working order. This has been in 3 times for repair of the same problem and the last time I contacted someone from Pentax directly who expedited everything for me. I honestly have some concern that this could be operator error at this point.
First, if you put the camera in AF-S shooting mode, it does not allow you to take picture (trip the shutter) unless focus in confirmed by the camera (green hexagon appears in view finder). OTOH, if you are in AF-C mode and set to release priority it will allow you to take the picture even though it is NOT in focus. Pointing the camera/lens at infinity often does not work if there is nothing (such as clear blue sky or completely dark scene) for the camera to focus on. When you say, it works for other lens but on the 50-135mm lens, are you saying that in the same scene (same setting), one works the other failed? If that is the case, most likely lens problem, otherwise, I would say user error.
06-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
When you say, it works for other lens but on the 50-135mm lens, are you saying that in the same scene (same setting), one works the other failed? If that is the case, most likely lens problem, otherwise, I would say user error.
Yes, the camera focuses just fine with all of my other lenses in the exact same situation (scene and camera settings). I emailed Ricoh, who responded quickly previously, so we'll see what they say.