Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2015, 07:34 AM   #1

Extremely dark pictures with k-30

This didnt happen before a few months ago. This happens with our sigma lens and the kit lens.

Almost half the time when shooting indoors, and outdoors as well come to think of it, the pictures come out super dark. The settings are fine. Here are two pictures taken back to back with identical settings on the SAME focal point. I've flipped the mirror down and the sensor looks fine, also did dust removal. I've done a full settings reset. I've tried everything. Its super frustrating because the sigma lens takes awesome indoor pictures in medium light but half of our shots have this happen.

Please help with any recommendations, camera is still under warranty for a little while. I know its not the sigma because kit lens does it as well.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
05-31-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Check the exposure compensation, in case you're not shooting manual.
05-31-2015, 07:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Flugelbinder Quote
Check the exposure compensation, in case you're not shooting manual.
these were both shot on auto with exposure at +/- 0 EV

this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/287348-k-30-taking-dark-shots.html

says aperture motor is a common problem with the k-30 and k-50. And I just realized I bought this in 2013 and didn't get an extended warranty. UGHHH

Maybe this is just a sign I should get a k-3 ii or k-s2

Last edited by djpattiecake; 05-31-2015 at 08:28 AM.
05-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a suggestion which I do not know if you have tried yet. Using green mode (Auto), or using TAV mode at 200 shutter speed and something like F8, then seeing what the image result and resulting ISO are in the image info may inform you of whether the camera is acting normally or not. Trying in outdoor and indoor light for results would probably be most informative with the modes I mentioned. You may want to leave your mirror in normal position also.

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-31-2015 at 09:48 AM.
05-31-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
Forum Member

Factory reset?
05-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It may be a problem w/ the lens-- e.g., lever that moves the aperture blades. Could the rear of the lens have gotten bumped? Have you tried it on another camera?
05-31-2015, 12:29 PM   #7

reset settings did it on my case

05-31-2015, 02:26 PM   #8

Original Poster
reset was already tried, and this is same problem is happening with both my pentax kit lens and sigma lens
05-31-2015, 08:59 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djpattiecake Quote
reset was already tried, and this is same problem is happening with both my pentax kit lens and sigma lens
Try those lenses on another body and see if the problem is repeated. If so inspect the diaphragm for response at all values. Change from Auto to manual on the K30 and reshoot at all values both lenses to eliminate possible auto function issues. Recently my K3 did this with 2 lenses and I had one bad diaphragm (now out of service) that required a reboot of the K3 and the 2nd lens worked fine afterwards. Please keep us posted.
05-31-2015, 09:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Bracketing but with weakened batteries that refuse to do the third shot? This happens with my K-S1 sometimes because I shoot RAW+ and the processor can't keep up.
06-01-2015, 05:34 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
Bracketing but with weakened batteries that refuse to do the third shot? This happens with my K-S1 sometimes because I shoot RAW+ and the processor can't keep up.
full battery, no bracketing
06-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

According to the exif, both photos had identical exposure settings. That narrows things down to:
  • Lens aperture fault (unlikely, that usually results in overexposure)
  • Shutter error (also unlikely)
  • Body aperture actuator fault
I don't want to jump to conclusions, but the third bullet is the most likely culprit as per the link you referenced above. There is a known problem with both the K-30 and K-50 cameras with premature failure of the aperture and/or mirror controllers. Reports of the problem first surfaced on this site about a year ago and the issue has been the cause of much sorrow.

Since your camera is out of warranty, the cost is about $200 USD if I remember correctly.

Now that I have put you into a panic, checking the lens would still be a good idea. You can check the aperture actuator on the lens by moving it manually with a flick of your finger. The aperture should move smoothly from full open to full closed with no hesitation or sticking. The actuator lever should also be examined for possible physical damage.

Steve
06-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks steve, you have confirmed my suspicions. The lenses are fine, aperture moves wonderfully. The camera is the fault. When I was reading the other threads on this I kept nodding my head, especially when people say it barely ever happened in the beginning, but progressively got worse and worse. Its 50% of my pictures now, and it sounds a bit different when you take a dark picture like this.

I've also read of people getting the repair and the problem returned down the road. I think I will just save for a k-3 ...
06-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by djpattiecake Quote
I've also read of people getting the repair and the problem returned down the road.
Yes, there is one user on this site (in S. Africa, I believe) who had a second failure.

Steve
06-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #15

Original Poster
So with the k-50's also suffering from this problem from time to time, I wonder if the K-S2 is a good buy.... or should I get a k-3? no built in flash on k-3 ii is kind of a bummer