Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K3 Cable Challenge

Hi, is it just me or do other people have trouble keeping the K3's USB cable connected.
When I try to import to Lightroom, sometimes it fails. It seems to be because the slotted connector to the camera PC port doesn't fit properly and comes loose.
Anyone else have to solve for this? Thanks.

05-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you using a usb2 or usb3 cable? I've had no issues with the latter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd recommend getting a dedicated card reader anyway. You can get them for like $10 and they're a lot more convenient.
05-31-2015, 06:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks both. On the cable, does USB 2 or 3 make a difference where it goes into the camera? That port is slotted, unlike the USB port at the laptop.

05-31-2015, 11:04 PM   #5

The K-3 should have USB Micro b connectors on it.

The top connectors are for USB - USB3 uses both of the micro connectors. USB2 uses only the larger.

USB 3 Micro B connector
06-01-2015, 06:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My laptop has a built in card reader. Popping the SD card from the K-3 and inserting into the laptop reader
is quick and secure. It's certainly quicker than finding the cable and then connecting the two together. And
its certainly more secure than having the two tethered together. (In the past, I have forgotten camera and
computer were connected and either lifted either camera or laptop only to have the other violently lurched
by the attached cable.)
06-01-2015, 07:32 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you using a usb2 or usb3 cable? I've had no issues with the latter.
I have used both USB2 and USB3 cables on mine with no issues. Is it possible that there is a problem on the computer end?

As noted in the above comments, a card reader is the better solution.

Steve

06-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the helpful replies. Maybe the best bet is a card reader or to get a replacement cable (though I couldn't find one).

The problem is not at the computer. The problem is that the USB 3 cable that came with the K-3 simply does not plug in tightly and is prone to wobbling once inserted. Unfortunate, but not insurmountable.

Thanks again.
06-02-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mwilky55 Quote
The problem is that the USB 3 cable that came with the K-3 simply does not plug in tightly
Your camera did not come with a USB 3 or any other cables.* At least they are not packaged that way in N. America. The USB 2 cable that came with your K-5 should work, though (as with all such devices) the fit may become more loose with age.

Steve

* Commonly stated beef against Ricoh/Pentax from reviewers and Pentax owners
06-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your camera did not come with a USB 3 or any other cables.* At least they are not packaged that way in N. America. The USB 2 cable that came with your K-5 should work, though (as with all such devices) the fit may become more loose with age.

Steve

* Commonly stated beef against Ricoh/Pentax from reviewers and Pentax owners
Okay thanks
06-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #11
Banned

Amazon makes good cables for cheap $$$...

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics USB 3.0 Cable - A Male to Micro B - 3 Feet (0.9 Meters): Computers & Accessories