Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bwd Quote
Must say just one moreyhis this The battery died fenito gone fishing ,So he order the battery pack!! It´s really bad if the battery dies after like thirteen months.............
Have Panasonic Canon Nikon kameras from simple to highend pro dslrs never had a battery that died like the Pentax battery My older Panasonic Canon etc get weeker so to say must reload more often ...never a death in the battery family Looks like the dealer was right that those k3 batteries sux
You obviously had bad luck and perhaps this will be a lesson to learn.
You must follow instructions which are quite clear: a fully charged battery is required and the Pentax site does mention that if the process stops while updating .... Boom !

Enough said already .... going back to more productive work.

Cheers!

06-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Must say just one moreyhis this The battery died fenito gone fishing ,So he order the battery pack!! It´s really bad if the battery dies after like thirteen months.............
Have Panasonic Canon Nikon kameras from simple to highend pro dslrs never had a battery that died like the Pentax battery My older Panasonic Canon etc get weeker so to say must reload more often ...never a death in the battery family Looks like the dealer was right that those k3 batteries sux
Those batteries were in your cameras. See next note below...

what ?? don´t u think that is really bad huh?? 13 Months and it was not the first battery he had to replace(he=The dealer in Sweden)??
Hmmmm...is there any chance that your brother has abused his batteries? Unless I am reading this wrong and you are saying that your Swedish dealer is routinely replacing Pentax batteries at one year. In which case, I find that claim to be somewhat incredible (meaning that it is difficult to believe).

You might want to note that Pentax contracts for its batteries from the same firms that supply the other camera makers.

In any case, I will start a poll in the dSLR section of this site asking the users here about battery life. As I mentioned earlier, I have been active on this site since 2007 and have never seen reports here or on other Web sites indicating general poor quality for Pentax-branded batteries.

Addendum: I did start a poll and despite having done a poor job defining the questions (is ambiguous for batteries still alive, but not very old), I think it may be useful when taken with the several pages of related comments. See link below:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/297312-pentax-battery-lifetime.html
BTW: It is easy to blame the battery, but you attempted the update knowing the battery was not fully charged. The cause for the "bricked camera" is purely operator error. The cost to fix will be at least $120 USD or equivalent in Swedish Krona. I suggest you write your brother a check.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-10-2015 at 04:35 PM.
06-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Genuin and half loaded that should be good for update of f-ware, K-3 genuine Pentax battery dies after a year days the retailer on .se Glad Im using Nikon then :-)
helping my brother with hes Pentax ;-)
Available voltage and current in a battery will fluctuate depending on temperature and load. A half-charged battery which has been sitting will show a deceptively greater capacity when first tested. When a load is applied (camera's I/O bus during firmware update), that small amount of available capacity is quickly depleted. Then the battery begins to heat, increasing its internal resistance, lowering its available voltage. Since both the camera's load and the battery's capacity vary over time, the only way to be certain is to use a fully charged battery for firmware updates, as is advised by the manufacturer.

It was a Pentax dealer who claimed that the batteries only lasted one year ....
I do not know ?? How long has the K-3 have been sold in the US and Sweden ??
I suspect he may be trying to sell more batteries. I still average 600 RAW shots per K-3 battery after 18 months of use, same as when they were new. I did have two aftermarket batteries for a Canon - they lasted about five months before showing significantly diminished capacity. Now I stick to genuine OEM batteries.
06-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For future reference, your Nikon has the same vulnerability. Always start with a fully charged, known-good battery when doing a firmware update. Do not trust the indicator on the LCD. The battery technology that drives the display presents a "perfect world" estimate at best and is not reliable. As for the Pentax battery dying after a year, the dealer is on crack. While lithium ion batteries do generally have a limited life span, three years is a reasonable expectation with a quality battery and reasonable care. FWIW, the original battery on my K10D was still going strong when I sold it last year, seven years after purchase.

Steve
I have had Pentax D-LI90 batteries for years and they still do a great job (K-5 and K-5 IIs). The usual procedure is to charge my batteries fully prior to shooting or moving files unless it is something unimportant. I do not recommend any other brand other than Pentax for a battery to be used with a Pentax camera.

06-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #35
bwd

Original Poster
I can tell you it was the "main electronics "
that busted it cost 3000 sek but he get it on the warranty do a google us d to se kr :-) Have a nice weekend with summertime macro
06-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #36
Site Supporter

I can tell you it was the "main electronics "
that busted it cost 3000 sek but he get it on the warranty do a google us d to se kr :-) Have a nice weekend with summertime macro
That is super that it was covered under warranty! I am glad it all turned out well.

Steve

(...3000 sek ==> $367 USD OUCH! )