Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bwd Quote
Genuin and half loaded that should be good for update of f-ware, K-3 genuine Pentax battery dies after a year days the retailer on .se Glad Im using Nikon then :-)
helping my brother with hes Pentax ;-)
1. I have read two Pentax forums daily for the past seven years and I've never heard of a battery failing after a year.

2. The firmware instructions say quite clearly to start with a fully charged battery. One can't ignore the instructions and still blame Pentax.

06-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

helping my brother with hes Pentax ;-)

You helped him, alright!

(or was this payback?)
06-08-2015, 04:29 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To be fair, I have noticed that the battery strength meter is inaccurate. I've left for a day of shooting with the battery showing half full, and only got a few shots in. A charge does last several hundred images, but if the logo doesn't show as full, you better have a spare battery in the bag.

Nevertheless, the instructions say "full battery" before starting a firmware update. Doing otherwise is unwise, and the consequences are significant. Sending the camera away for service is a royal pain. I even wonder if they will charge for the repair, since it was basically misuse of the camera.
06-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #19
bwd

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For future reference, your Nikon has the same vulnerability. Always start with a fully charged, known-good battery when doing a firmware update. Do not trust the indicator on the LCD. The battery technology that drives the display presents a "perfect world" estimate at best and is not reliable. As for the Pentax battery dying after a year, the dealer is on crack. While lithium ion batteries do generally have a limited life span, three years is a reasonable expectation with a quality battery and reasonable care. FWIW, the original battery on my K10D was still going strong when I sold it last year, seven years after purchase.

Steve
It was a Pentax dealer who claimed that the batteries only lasted one year ....
I do not know ?? How long has the K-3 have been sold in the US and Sweden ??

---------- Post added 06-08-15 at 09:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What ???
What??? What why not read the msg above my slightly confusing answer

---------- Post added 06-08-15 at 09:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
1. I have read two Pentax forums daily for the past seven years and I've never heard of a battery failing after a year.

2. The firmware instructions say quite clearly to start with a fully charged battery. One can't ignore the instructions and still blame Pentax.
I do not blame anyone, I just tell us what Pentax guy told my brother.
I was going to see if there were any shortcut for a restart from the death camera to a living ditto ...
Should not have had named the Nikon, it is like swearing in church

---------- Post added 06-08-15 at 09:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
You helped him, alright!

(or was this payback?)
nope I was .............................

He did the payback himself when he get the k-3

---------- Post added 06-08-15 at 09:52 AM ----------

The K-3 is on the way to the Pentax dudes in .se
Thanks for all your answers!!!!!

06-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How long has the K-3 have been sold in the US and Sweden ??
Since Fall of 1013, though the D-LI90 battery has been used in Pentax cameras since the K-7 in 2009. I have been active on this site for a number of years and have no memory of complaints regarding premature failure of that battery.

Steve
06-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

For future reference, your Nikon has the same vulnerability.
May I know how you know? Reports from unhappy Nikon users? This is just curiosity, it might very wrll be the case.

A decent implementation should (to start with) have a 'bootloader' that will never be overwritten. So one always at least has the option to retry.
06-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
A decent implementation should (to start with) have a 'bootloader' that will never be overwritten.
I guess that is why that particular feature has only been fairly recently added to computer motherboards. I used to sweat blood when doing a MB reflash. My current box has provision for fail-safe update.

Good point though rare enough.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-08-2015 at 01:09 PM.
06-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
May I know how you know? Reports from unhappy Nikon users? This is just curiosity, it might very wrll be the case.
Conversations with Nikon owners, both happy and unhappy. As for documentation, is this good enough? (Link found on D7100 download page for Nikon USA)

Updating Digital SLR Camera Firmware

It is because of the potential for disaster that I generally don't recommend automatic firmware update for most users unless the update corrects a known issue or is required to enable support for a particular flash, lens, or what not.

Steve
06-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since Fall of 1013, though the D-LI90 battery has been used in Pentax cameras since the K-7 in 2009. I have been active on this site for a number of years and have no memory of complaints regarding premature failure of that battery.

Steve
Well, last November I go a new K3. It was manufactured a year earlier and the battery was DOA. Shutter count was 3 or something like that . The camera has been flawless so far and B&H sent a replacement battery with their usual high level of efficiency.

When I went to update the firmware a week ago I did get a warning to install a fully charged battery as it told me the one I had in it was too low to do a firmware update. FWIW, it was a Kapaxen battery. They have not impressed me at all. Very short life on a K3.
06-09-2015, 02:47 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Conversations with Nikon owners, both happy and unhappy. As for documentation, is this good enough? (Link found on D7100 download page for Nikon USA)
Good enough

---------- Post added 09-06-15 at 11:57 ----------

I guess that is why that particular feature has only been fairly recently added to computer motherboards. I used to sweat blood when doing a MB reflash. My current box has provision for fail-safe update.

Good point though rare enough.
Steve
I work in the TV broadcast business and this was implemented in 1994 in the first satellite decoders that we used.

There is a bit more involved because satellite reception can be crappy and so the downloaded firmware can easily be corrupted.
06-09-2015, 06:13 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
We're talking K-3, not K-7. Two different animals.

FWIW, My K-30 won't start a f/w update with less than a fully charged battery either.
Two different animals, same procedure for updating the firmware.

Just this: fully charged battery!
06-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #27

Every device that I've used with user upgradable firmware the instructions always warn not to interrupt or turn off power while the update is progressing. From computer motherboards, peripheral cards (disk controllers, video cards, etc.), peripherals like tape drives, disks, and printers or hand-held devices (cellphones, digital cameras, barcode scanners etc.)..

Loss of power can cause logical corruption of the firmware microcode or even physical damage to flash memory used to store the firmware. Either can render the device useless. Computer main board manufacturers partially solved the problem by keeping a two copies of the firmware or a protected copy of a trimmed down boot loader. Physical damage to the flash memory would mean replacing the chip. Logical corruption can be overwritten but probably requires an external device to rewrite the microcode.

I go back to the era when replacing the firmware meant replacing the entire mainboard or at best a sub-board or a few ICs. Programmable Read-Only Memory (PROM) and EPROM (erasable) made it easier for manufacturers to update firmware but still required the user to pull and replace a chip. EPROM needed a UV light to erase the memory and a "chip burner" to reprogram the memory. Non-volatile RAM (flash memory) meant that chips no longer had to be swapped
06-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #28
bwd

Original Poster
Must say just one moreyhis this The battery died fenito gone fishing ,So he order the battery pack!! It´s really bad if the battery dies after like thirteen months.............
Have Panasonic Canon Nikon kameras from simple to highend pro dslrs never had a battery that died like the Pentax battery My older Panasonic Canon etc get weeker so to say must reload more often ...never a death in the battery family Looks like the dealer was right that those k3 batteries sux
06-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #29
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Must say just one moreyhis this The battery died fenito gone fishing ,So he order the battery pack!! It´s really bad if the battery dies after like thirteen months.............
Have Panasonic Canon Nikon kameras from simple to highend pro dslrs never had a battery that died like the Pentax battery My older Panasonic Canon etc get weeker so to say must reload more often ...never a death in the battery family Looks like the dealer was right that those k3 batteries sux
Sigh...
06-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #30
bwd

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Sigh...
what ?? don´t u think that is really bad huh?? 13 Months and it was not the first battery he had to replace(he=The dealer in Sweden)??