Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

K-x card read error !!!!!

I have used my Pentax K-x for 3 years without any problems. When trying to use it 3 months ago it gave me a "card read error" I took the card out and could see that the card lock was missing. I opened the card slot and the card lock fell out of the slot but the camera still return "card read error" I have tried numerous and all different types of cards, I have reset the camera I have tried to clean the contacts of the camera card slot with a earbud with cd lens cleaner - all with no result. I have taken the camera for assessment to a wellknown camera repairer for an quote to repair. Their recommendation was that they could replace the main board of the camera for $300 !!! I still beleive it is a firmware/software related problem and have tried to do a firmware update from the card but with no result - it does not read the card ! The camera is programmed to read by default from the card. I have been told to change the default reading of the camera to the a printer drive and install the software from the printer drive with a cable. Can somebody maybe advise me on this whole issue ? It would be sad that this mechanically sound camera be ruined by a software problem. I wonder if the people of Pentax (Ricoh) are reading and watching this forum ?

06-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I very much doubt this has anything to with firmware or software unfortunately. Such things do not just suddenly not work. And since the card was broken and parts were found in the card bay I would say your issue is that the broken card lock caused damage to the card reader contacts or connections in the camera.

Replacing the main board seems drastic but with the miniaturization of electronics it might simply be impossible to repair the connection. Thus replacement of the main board or the camera itself is required.

If I understand your post correctly you have not used the camera in three months? Perhaps it is time to for a new camera. If not, then used Pentax k-x bodies are available for less than $200.
06-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Firmware didn't damage your card.

Sounds like you're up for a new card at the very least.
06-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What I would do is open the card door, hold the camera so that the SD card opening is pointing downwards, then get a Rocket blower (or equivalent) and thoroughly blow some air all around the interior parts of the SD card bay. A couple of times.

Then if that does nothing, perhaps one of these might do something useful:

Amazon.com: Laserline Clear Connections 4-in-1 Memory Card Slot Cleaner: Computers & Accessories

http://www.amazon.com/Norazza-Memory-Card-Slot-Cleaning/dp/B00009R7X4/ref=pd...2M9R51FPANWES5

06-08-2015, 02:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
Dear Rawr,

Thanks for your positive recommendation to clean the contacts of the memeory card slot/reader with compressed air. I have done a thorough inspection of the contacts - they were not damaged and still look 100 %. I still have no reason to beleive that the hardware of the camera is not damaged and stand by my outcome that this not neccesary to replace the whole mainboard of the camera. Most computer repair shops should have a Rocket blower and will I try this first ! Thanks for the advice.
06-08-2015, 07:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter

SD card communicates directly to the main-board. Card read errors have been reported on various other models thru the years and generally it's a main-board issue. If you search RiceHigh's Pentax blog he posts images of tear down..... But ultimately you'll need a new main-board, or attempt to discover what is broken on your main-board and attempt to repair it.

It could be the actual SD reader...but you'd still need to replace that. Replacing the entire camera is going to be cheaper....and much easier.

K-X is older model and probably best to upgrade to newer model.....
06-08-2015, 11:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
SD card communicates directly to the main-board. Card read errors have been reported on various other models thru the years and generally it's a main-board issue. If you search RiceHigh's Pentax blog he posts images of tear down..... But ultimately you'll need a new main-board, or attempt to discover what is broken on your main-board and attempt to repair it.

It could be the actual SD reader...but you'd still need to replace that. Replacing the entire camera is going to be cheaper....and much easier.

K-X is older model and probably best to upgrade to newer model.....
Hallo forensicscientist,

Thanks for the recommendation. I do not need an upgrade and am quite satisfied with then technology on offer with the K-x. It is all about picture quality, colour and resolution I am used to - the reason why I stcik with Pentax.
It even now gives me more reason to take out the main board and take it to a electronic technician for repair. Problem for me is to take it apart !!!
06-09-2015, 03:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohannMostert Quote
Hallo forensicscientist,

Thanks for the recommendation. I do not need an upgrade and am quite satisfied with then technology on offer with the K-x. It is all about picture quality, colour and resolution I am used to - the reason why I stcik with Pentax.
It even now gives me more reason to take out the main board and take it to a electronic technician for repair. Problem for me is to take it apart !!!
FYI...MB is predominately what is called "surface mount". Meaning average electronics guy is not going to be able to repair. Surface mount requires specialezed and very expensive machinery to work with.

If you're that happy with the K-x...another one can be had for around 150 or so via that big auction site....

Search Ricehigh's blogs for links to repair manuals....he also posts pics.

06-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohannMostert Quote
I do not need an upgrade and am quite satisfied with then technology on offer with the K-x. It is all about picture quality, colour and resolution I am used to - the reason why I stcik with Pentax. It even now gives me more reason to take out the main board and take it to a electronic technician for repair. Problem for me is to take it apart !!!
The k-x is a nice camera, my son is now using mine. If you are happy with it that is fine but Pentax has moved on. K-5 or k-50 series is a big step up in all areas.

I know you want to get your camera repaired but as several people have noted that is unlikely to be practical. Repair (if even possible) will almost certainly cost more than buying another k-x body. If I were you I would be looking for a used k-30 or k-50 body at perhaps $300 which would be a big step up in picture quality, color and resolution.
06-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
Forum Member

Johann, i feel your pain. I have taken mine down to pcb level with no problems chasing a lcd issue. The card reader is smt, but nothing is impossible to repair. Even smt can be replaced and reflowed. The card lock lever may need to be in place to render the card writeable, im not sure how it defaults. Are you in usa? Send me an email 68pishta at gmail and we can discuss some options as well as a simpke 1 screwdriver teardown guide.