Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-3 and Meade LX-200 Classic

I need help as to what exactly i need to attach my camera to the scope. I found the t-ring but can't find the camera adapter? Do I need a focusing software? Is it really necessary to have a go to software (sky Safari) when you already have a database with your scope.I guess what I'm asking can you tell me what I need and where to find it at a reasonable price, is a kit available?

06-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Iminneed Quote
I need help as to what exactly i need to attach my camera to the scope. I found the t-ring but can't find the camera adapter? Do I need a focusing software? Is it really necessary to have a go to software (sky Safari) when you already have a database with your scope.I guess what I'm asking can you tell me what I need and where to find it at a reasonable price, is a kit available?
I found a kit,Deluxe Telescope Camera Adapter Kit for Pentax "K" SLR / DSLR - 1.25" Variable Eyepiece Projection & Prime Focus its 90 dollars .
06-08-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HI Iminnneed, and welcome to PentaxForums,

For a Meade SCT the proper set-up will be a Meade T-adapter:

Meade 62 T-Adapter #07352

and then the T2-ring for Pentax-K mounts that you already have.

I believe that most telescope dealers will have these parts in stock.

Your scope is already a go-to scope, so I don't see why you would need additional go-to/tracking software (at least not to begin with). You are of course already aware that for photographic purposes both accurate polar alignment and a proper levelled telescope mount is of great importance......

For poper focusing, Bahtinov masks (Bahtinov mask - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) seems to be the best solution. You can find such masks on e-Bay. However, for a start, you may also try to focus in Liveview at max. magnification, using a bright star as your target.

Good luck and enjoy!
06-08-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You need an adapter to go from the t-ring threads to the telescope. There are a few options: prime focus is for deep sky images and maybe the moon, eyepiece projection or barlow imaging is for small planets. Whatever you select, make a phone call to the vendor (I highly recommend High Point Scientific) before ordering to confirm you are getting the correct thing.

I think this prime focus adapter will get you started. It goes from the t-adapter directly to the back of your telescope. Meade #62 T-Adapter for Prime Focus Astrophotography - 07352

Note that most LX-200 scopes have an f/10 focal ratio (aka "aperture" in photography terms). That's pretty slow and if you are planning to photograph dim objects you may want to invest in the f6.3 focal reducer. I suggest joining a local astronomy club - if you can find one - before starting astrophotography. Astro work is fun but has a big learning curve.

06-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I wish you posted this a little while ago because I just sold my Cassegrain focal reducer and guide adapter for $15 on eBay. If you are planning on doing any astrophotography a focal reducer will save you a lot of headaches.

obin
06-08-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
HI Iminnneed, and welcome to PentaxForums,

For a Meade SCT the proper set-up will be a Meade T-adapter:

Meade 62 T-Adapter #07352

and then the T2-ring for Pentax-K mounts that you already have.

I believe that most telescope dealers will have these parts in stock.

Your scope is already a go-to scope, so I don't see why you would need additional go-to/tracking software (at least not to begin with). You are of course already aware that for photographic purposes both accurate polar alignment and a proper levelled telescope mount is of great importance......

For poper focusing, Bahtinov masks (Bahtinov mask - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) seems to be the best solution. You can find such masks on e-Bay. However, for a start, you may also try to focus in Liveview at max. magnification, using a bright star as your target.

Good luck and enjoy!
Could you specify which T ring to get I don't want to buy the wrong thing, and I would like to get a eyepiece holder that works with this set up to thanks very much for your help
06-09-2015, 01:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter

The T2-Ring (nowadays often just somewhat loosely called T-ring) is this type:

Shop at OPT - Celestron Camera T-Ring - Pentax - K Mount - OPT Telescopes

T2 Adapter an Pentax K20D K200D K10D K20D K100D K-M GP ring for lens brand NEW | eBay

If you want an 'eyepiece holder', I assume you are thinking about eyepiece projection photography? In that case, you should look for an 'eyepiece adapter' of this type:

Meade Variable Projection Tele-Extender [07348] : Hands On Optics :: Telescopes, Accessories, CCD and Digital Cameras. GSA contract GSO2F128AA

together with the eyepiece holder also mentioned in the ad (Meade Model 07182 Eyepiece Holder).

Do note that in this type of photography, the field of view becomes extremely narrow and your scope's 'go-to' capability will only bring you near to your target. To actually get a planet into your field of view takes some practise and patience......

If you are new to astrophotography, I would practise some prime-focus photography using the T-adapter and T2-Ring first.
06-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the info but after reading a lot and seeing the results of some of the pictures it looks to me that astrophotography is overrated, too much money and just a whole bunch of space,some of the better shots that I saw were from a camera but thanks for your help anyway.

06-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Why would you say it's overrated? That's like saying that macros, portraits, and sports photos are overrated. Astrophotography is a different and special discipline which involves skills that only a tiny percentage of photographers possess. If it was easy and inexpensive then everyone would do it. I happen to have great joy in taking photos of comets, satellites, planets, and objects that are thousands of light years away. It's also the only discipline of photography which has the possibility of you discovering a planet or comet that nobody has ever seen. If you don't like it then by all means leave it to the rest of us but don't say that it's overrated.

obin
06-12-2015, 06:52 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It wasn't intended to make anybody mad or get upset I'm just saying,and to say it's not expensive that's another question , have fun and enjoy your photography.