Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 07:39 PM   #1

What is this apparatus called, and where do I buy it?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello --

I hope that you can help me. I am trying to find out where I could get inexpensively, or make somehow, a "mini studio" for photographing products that I wish to sell on eBay?

I don't know the exact name of it, so I cannot search for it, but what I am looking for is a small cube of about 24 inches, with the "walls" being white, or other neutral color, and then a place for the camera to "peek in" and take the picture of the item, and maybe a few led lights in the cube for lighting.

Can you please help me figure out the name of this type of apparatus, and how I can make or buy one inexpensively? Even better, if you could provide me with some links to actual products!

Thank you so much!

06-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you search for tent, possibly in combination with lighting, photographic, macro, ad/or product, it should provide you with examples--both ready made and do it yourself.
06-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Strobist: How To: DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio
06-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #4

Try searching on "light tent"

06-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Light shed"

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=391142229276

Photo Studio 24" Photography Light Tent Backdrop Kit 60cm Cube Lighting In A Box
06-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Lots of instructions to be found online.

06-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have one of these pop-up ones that collapse to fit in a small circular bag:

Amazon.com: NeewerŪ 24x24 inch/60x60 cm Photo Studio Shooting Tent Light Cube Diffusion Soft Box Kit with 4 Colors Backdrops (Red Dark Blue Black White) for Photography: Camera & Photo

(Comes under other brands also.)
06-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=391142229276

Photo Studio 24" Photography Light Tent Backdrop Kit 60cm Cube Lighting In A Box
I have one of these, I don't use it a lot, but it is very handy.
06-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

you can get this from Cowboy Studio... you have combos with lights and just the box...

Link here: Shooting Table/Tent
06-10-2015, 12:16 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input!

From the get go, I had no idea what these were even called by name. That is why I was not able to do my own Google search for them. Now that I have reviewed all the options, it seems that the eBay one from GameGearWarehouse is the best way to go. The only thing that could make this set up better would be to have daylight CFLs. Thanks @crewl1 for that link!
06-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #12

You want a collapsible light tent, and they come in all different sizes. You can also build your own for next to nothing. My first one was rigged from one of those collapsible laundry bins. I eventually bought one off ebay that works well for the same purpose: selling accumulated stuff on ebay. Don't laugh, but you can get acceptable results by simply using a scrap piece of photo backdrop paper. Bounce a speedlight off a white ceiling or another wall and you may be surprised with the results.

Sample below using 2 speedlights, with almost no PP. Shot with K-5, f/11, Sigma EX DG 70mm macro in a $15 light tent. The lack of a 3rd light gives a little shadow, but who cares since you can easily get rid of it in Photoshop. I liked the photo as is, and this is my usual set-up. It is a no-brainer that takes 2 minutes to set up and shoot. If the exposure is off, just move your speedlights (or lamps) closer or farther away from the tent. A third light is better but unnecessary. You only need to play with the lighting if shooting highly reflective objects or want an artistic look.

Last edited by quant2325; 06-10-2015 at 09:27 AM.