Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I would stay away from alkaline batteries if I were you... they discharge at full power and your flash will heat up quickly.

OTOH, do you have another way to test if the batteries are good before putting in the flash? Or you could have a defective flash unfortunately.
Any modern device made to take AA batteries expects Alkaline batteries. Rechargeable batteries are what is outside the specification.

06-12-2015, 02:25 PM   #17
Pentaxian

The Pentax AF-360FGZ manual states that Ni-MH (Nickel-Metal Hydride) AA batteries may be used for the unit. Ni-MH AA is a rechargeable battery. I have used them successfully in my own Pentax AF-360FGZ.
06-13-2015, 04:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Any modern device made to take AA batteries expects Alkaline batteries. Rechargeable batteries are what is outside the specification.
I would expect modern devices to be designed with recharcheable as well as alkaline batteries in mind.

The manual for the 360/II specifically states Alkaline, Lithium and Ni-MH (and specifically excludes Ni-Mn and Ni-CD). So the flash is designed for that; the circuitry probably runs on something like 4V or 4.5V and a regulator of some kind is used to bring the higher voltages down to the required voltage.
07-13-2015, 05:43 AM   #19

Original Poster
Hi Everyone,

as expected the flash unit was dead on arrival and a replacement has been sourced.

Replacement flash unit is working well and I've not had a repeat of the original issue.

Regards,
David.