Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2015, 02:00 AM   #1

Pentax AF360FGZ II Flash won't charge

Hello,

I recently bought the Pentax AF360FGZ II camera flash. It worked for about one hours but then it started to produce a high-pitched sound and stopped charging the flash. It displayed the message "lo bat".

I then changed the batteries to a fresh set and the camera flash continues to make the same sound and after a few seconds displays the same message "lo bat".

Anyone know if I've done something wrong, or is the new flash just broken?

06-11-2015, 04:19 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
rechargeable bats or normal ones?
06-11-2015, 04:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

rechargeable batteries such as Eneloop (NiMH) are better suited for flash than ordinary alkaline batteries, which ones are you using?
06-11-2015, 04:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
rechargeable batteries such as Eneloop (NiMH)
only if they are still good... they will loose their capacity over time...

06-11-2015, 06:33 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
only if they are still good... they will loose their capacity over time...
better loose their capacity over time (eneloop at least 1000x times charge) than use normal battery and dumb after out of power, make more waste and no good for environment

PS: go green a bit
06-11-2015, 06:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi folks,

Thanks for coming back to me on this issue.

I used Eneloop pro batteries - fully charged. I then used Duracell 2000mah batteries and the problem persisted.
06-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mixberry Quote
better loose their capacity over time (eneloop at least 1000x times charge) than use normal battery and dumb after out of power, make more waste and no good for environment PS: go green a bit
:-) i just wanted to say that it could be faulty batteries... :-)

even though they are rated at 1000x they can fail before that, depended on the charger and other criteria...
i had that with different types of batteries (especially ansmann: some of them are just dead on will not recharge...)
06-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Rechargeable batteries supply a lower voltage than Alkaline batteries. No matter what the battery manufacturer claims, devices which expect 6 volts will underperform at 4.8 volts.

Purchase name-brand Alkaline batteries from a local source and pay full price. Duracell AA batteries are one of the MOST counterfeited items available for sale on the internet.

06-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the info about the rechargeable batteries.

I'll buy a new set of Duracells on my walk home.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Thanks.
06-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davidlpower Quote
Thanks for the info about the rechargeable batteries.

I'll buy a new set of Duracells on my walk home.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Thanks.
I would stay away from alkaline batteries if I were you... they discharge at full power and your flash will heat up quickly.

OTOH, do you have another way to test if the batteries are good before putting in the flash? Or you could have a defective flash unfortunately.

Last edited by aleonx3; 06-11-2015 at 11:19 AM.
06-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you are using the flash at full output, it will use your batteries up more quickly than not, I just wanted to mention. For example, you could set your flash at 2/3, 1/2, or 1/3, and if you find it accomodating, it will use less power than a higher output. I have the AF360fgz, not the II, and it has those options, I am assuming the II version is similar if not the same.
06-12-2015, 01:07 AM   #12

Original Poster
New batteries and the camera flash still wont charge.

I am starting to think the camera flash is broken.
06-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Something you might want to check is if the contact mount (shoe foot) of the flash (which attaches to camera) is attached correctly and if it is physically not damaged. Also you may want to use some basic settings with the flash off camera and test it by using the test button on the flash head. If it does flash off camera and the shoe foot appears undamaged, you my want to try it on the camera again, but make sure to use the most basic of camera settings. If it does not work then, if you can try it on another Pentax camera or try another Pentax flash on your camera, you may want to do that. If no success is found in those tests, if you have a Pentax warranty, contact customer service and ask what your next step should be. Or if you are within a return policy period of the seller of the product, you may want to request a return for refund or replacement.
06-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Something you might want to check is if the contact mount (shoe foot) of the flash (which attaches to camera) is attached correctly and if it is physically not damaged. Also you may want to use some basic settings with the flash off camera and test it by using the test button on the flash head. If it does flash off camera and the shoe foot appears undamaged, you my want to try it on the camera again, but make sure to use the most basic of camera settings. If it does not work then, if you can try it on another Pentax camera or try another Pentax flash on your camera, you may want to do that. If no success is found in those tests, if you have a Pentax warranty, contact customer service and ask what your next step should be. Or if you are within a return policy period of the seller of the product, you may want to request a return for refund or replacement.
Thanks for your advice C_Jones. The flash doesn't work on or off camera. The test button never lights up. The flash is simply dead. I'll return it to the seller and try get a replacement.
06-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davidlpower Quote
Thanks for your advice C_Jones. The flash doesn't work on or off camera. The test button never lights up. The flash is simply dead. I'll return it to the seller and try get a replacement.
As I mentioned, if you are a recent buyer you should have the alternative provided by the seller to get the replacement. You shouldn't have a problem.

If you ever have a problem with Pentax equipment that you have purchased that is under warranty, or just need help and the seller cannot help you, 800 877-0155 is the Pentax customer service number. I have always been given appropriate assistance when I have called. When you buy, always verify that the seller is a Pentax authorized dealer also, for a valid warranty.

I am glad I may have been of help. You are welcome.