Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Autofocus issue

I am looking for a little sympathy. I pulled out my 200* the other day to find out auto-focus was no longer an option. I have hardly used the lens as I have a 300*, 60-250*, 50-135*, 16-50*, 55* and some other stuff. I probably would have another * if there was one available. Only wanted the best Pentax had to offer. Really disappointed. Lens looks as good now as when I purchased, probably 3 years ago. I have been with Pentax for quiet some time and I just wonder if other camera brands experience similar difficulties. Seems this auto-focus problem has been around for a while.

06-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've heard that SDM lenses tend to break down more after prolonged periods of not being used. I'd recommend investing in the newer DC lenses for better reliability.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #3

You also have the option to convert SDM to screw drive AF to at least still use the lens... Search away
06-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
You also have the option to convert SDM to screw drive AF to at least still use the lens... Search away
I think I'll just focus manually.

06-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I purchased a DA* 200 lens that the AF (SDM) reportedly did not work. Once I received it, the AF in fact did not work initially. I played around with it a bit, focusing back and forth while holding the AF button on the camera, and the AF came back to life and has been working ever since without any other issues. I'm guessing that it stopped working while it had been sitting around for a long period of time and needed to be woken up?? Just wanted to offer up a suggestion to try if you haven't already. I don't believe that there is a screw-drive conversion for this lens (like the *16-50 and *50-135) as I would convert it to screwdrive in a heartbeat if I could.
06-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
I purchased a DA* 200 lens that the AF (SDM) reportedly did not work. Once I received it, the AF in fact did not work initially. I played around with it a bit, focusing back and forth while holding the AF button on the camera, and the AF came back to life and has been working ever since without any other issues. I'm guessing that it stopped working while it had been sitting around for a long period of time and needed to be woken up?? Just wanted to offer up a suggestion to try if you haven't already. I don't believe that there is a screw-drive conversion for this lens (like the *16-50 and *50-135) as I would convert it to screwdrive in a heartbeat if I could.
Thanks for the suggestion and I will certainly attempt that. I know that has worked sometimes with my 16-50. Do you know the cost associated with converting to screw-drive? Is this done by Pentax?
06-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. Ed Quote
Thanks for the suggestion and I will certainly attempt that. I know that has worked sometimes with my 16-50. Do you know the cost associated with converting to screw-drive? Is this done by Pentax?
To my knowledge, only the 16-50 and 50-135 can be converted and instructions can be found via the forums (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...m-f-2-8-a.html) or on the Internet. It is not difficult to do yourself but it can only be done with certain bodies. I don't think that Pentax will convert them, but I'm not sure. I haven't found instructions that allow me to convert the 200.

06-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I pulled out my 200* the other day to find out auto-focus was no longer an option
That's the same as my “Gorgeous Lady” (SMC Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8) now.

It can still be used to make great images in it's manual state, but I appreciate this is not what you want to hear.
06-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just pulled it out and went through the process of manually focusing and switched back to AF and it came alive. Not sure I would have attempted again if not for your suggestion. Thanks so much. Maybe others can have the same good fortune.

---------- Post added 06-13-15 at 02:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
Just attempted and it came to life. Thanks for the suggestion. Hope it works for others as well.
06-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Woo! Hoo! I always like stories with happy endings!

Steve