Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

Flash help

Hello everyone. I am Irfan. This is my first thread. Nice to see a Pentax community. So let me start with introducing myself before I ask questions. I do photography and design. You guys can visit my website at Photography

Now there are two problems here with me. First, I've never used flashes or strobes before, only reflectors and once on a canon I used speed lights of a friend and basically told him what I want. He was setting something in the camera like which lights I want on and which ones off. It looked fairly simple. I used a Nikon myself though back then. Recently bought a Pentax K3. I now feel myself a bit limited when I don't get the light the way I want. So thinking of buying a speed light by yognuo, the fourth edition for Nikon. I did a bit of research and got to know the Nikon version would work better on my K3.
Now the questions. And apologise for this as I am basically unknown to how flashes really work except very basic knowledge.

So if I just buy one speed light. And say I want to trigger that flash while off camera. Is it possible through the k3? Maybe by some in built trigger system? Without letting my camera pop up flash contributing to the exposure?
Secondly what are those hotshoe triggers for? If I can trigger the speed light from my camera?

Are there better options with strobes? I don't mind around 500$ more for them. But I am also interested in stopping motion. And flash durations are a bit over whelming to understand. And I like the compactness of speed lights. I also came across some mono lights. But not sure whether they can stop motion. And I mean high speed motion here. Like birds and water. Sharp!
Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Specially about the speed light because I am almost zeroing down on buying one. And yognuo seems like a good deal since I'll be learning flashes mostly.
Again apologise if this has been asked already. I tried researching but didn't really get in terms of Pentax.

Thanks again and hello all 😊

06-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Irfanintekhab Quote
So if I just buy one speed light. And say I want to trigger that flash while off camera. Is it possible through the k3? Maybe by some in built trigger system? Without letting my camera pop up flash contributing to the exposure? Secondly what are those hotshoe triggers for? If I can trigger the speed light from my camera?
The triggers mentioned are radio frequency. Better in my opinion than the pop up flash which requires line of sight to the receiving flash to work correctly.

Both Yongnuo and Cactus make third party flashes and triggers. But you have to buy one system or the other. The Cactus allows you to change the flash power from the on camera trigger, the Yongnuo does not as far as I know. These systems are manual only, by that I mean that there is no communication between camera and flash except 'fire'. The power must be set manually at the flash or in the case of the Cactus by using the controlling trigger. This is opposed to the Canon and Nikon and Pentax systems that work with their own flashes and allow the camera metering to adjust the flash level.

Your bigger mono lights are usually for studio work, though some have battery packs. Still they are not very portable. For most work a hot shoe flash with triggers will work. I use strobes (mono lights) in the studio triggered by Cactus triggers. I use the same triggers outside but use simple hot shoe flashes there. My flashes are a mix of old Pentax and Nikon ones but Yongnuo or Cactus would also work.
06-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use the cactus triggers with the nikon sb800 flash. You can set up the nikon flash to go off with pop up flash, but the cactus triggers work much better. I am not pro, I don't do it a lot, but I bought them a few months ago, and I have just been playing around with it. Very fun to use.