Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #1

Pentax 12-24 lens won't zoom anymore

Hi all,

I dropped my dang camera the other night with the 12-24 lens attached and at the time, I thought the only bad thing that happened was that the lens cap broke. I tested the camera at the time and it seemed fine, fortunately, but didn't realize until now that the lens won't budge anymore. It focuses fine, but is stuck at 24mm. I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow where I desperately need this lens to work at the wider angles, is there anything I can do to fix this? I know the best thing to do would be to ship it in for repair, but I need this lens tomorrow, so that's not an option right now. Any DIY fixes would be appreciated, thanks.

06-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First off understand that anything you do yourself likely has as much chance of helping as it does of doing more harm.
That said a couple of things to try:
First check to see that the front part of the barrel is in line with the rear, not cocked to the side a bit. On the 12-24 that will be hard since the front moves so little. If it is crooked you might try pushing it back into alignment. I had that happen to a lens and a firm grip and push snapped it back in place and it has worked ever since.

Second, you could try brute force and see if you can force it back onto the track by twisting it further.

Use either of those AT YOUR OWN RISK. As noted you are just as likely to break it beyond repair as fix it.
06-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Arg, I was worried somebody would give me a 50/50 chance of destroying my lens! Well, I looked at it and it doesn't appear to be cocked to the side and simply needing a re-alignment. I tried that anyway with no success. I am nervous about forcefully twisting it.

Ugh.
06-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazelle01 Quote
Arg, I was worried somebody would give me a 50/50 chance of destroying my lens! Well, I looked at it and it doesn't appear to be cocked to the side and simply needing a re-alignment. I tried that anyway with no success. I am nervous about forcefully twisting it. Ugh.
Best to send in for repair. If it was a cheap kit lens I might say go ahead, but the 12-24 is too pricy to ruin.

06-20-2015, 03:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you sure you haven't accidentally turned off AF on the body.