Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #1

Tilted Images

I have a K3 that up until two days ago had been working flawlessly. I took it out yesterday and noticed that my images had a pronounced tilt to the left. I chalked it up to bad handling and took it out today. Same thing - images that I know were lined up correctly are badly tilted to the left.

I've tried two lenses - my Tamron 17-50 and a M 50mm lens. Same behavior with both.

I just put the camera, level, on my countertop. Looking through the viewfinder everything seems level. The electronic level shows that it's level. However here's the result. There's no difference if horizon correction is on or off.

Any ideas? I really would like to avoid having to send it in for repair if at all possible. I have an important shoot coming up that I really would like to use this body for.

Attached Images

06-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are they tilted in live view as well? If not, and if horizon correction is off, it could be a shake reduction issue. See if it still happens with SR off. Also, try upgrading the firmware, just in case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
Just checked in live view - it's crooked there.

Just updated to firmware 1.21. No change.

Last edited by ZippySLC; 06-16-2015 at 05:18 PM.
06-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZippySLC Quote
Just checked in live view - it's crooked there.

I'm running firmware 1.11.
If the bottom of the camera is true to the counter top and live view is skewed, the sensor is off-kilter. Time to talk to the repairman.

BTW...does it do it with 2s shutter delay (SR off)?

Steve

06-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It looks like the sensor and SR assembly shifted out of place. Activate the sensor cleaning function in the menu. That will hold the shutter open and you can confirm the sensor looks crooked with respect to the camera body.
06-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah, it's definitely crooked. I guess I'll have to reach out to Pentax and try to rent a K3 for my shoot next week. :/
06-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
Just wanted to update -- I got my K3 back from Precision today. It came back still shooting crooked. Thankfully I have a rental for my shoot tomorrow.

Ricoh is sending me a shipping label to ship it back to Precision. I have a feeling this is going to turn into a whole ordeal.

07-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
Just got my camera back from Precision for the second time.

I was holding the camera perfectly straight when I took this picture. Precision has, for the second time, not addressed the issue (despite me sending a very detailed note and USB stick with pictures showing what I was seeing) nor did they make any mention of a tilted image on the work order. All of the "work" they did (reset camera, update firmware, clean & test) were the same things that were on the first work order I got.

At least it's clean.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Just got my camera back from Precision for the second time.

I was holding the camera perfectly straight when I took this picture. Precision has, for the second time, not addressed the issue (despite me sending a very detailed note and USB stick with pictures showing what I was seeing) nor did they make any mention of a tilted image on the work order. All of the "work" they did (reset camera, update firmware, clean & test) were the same things that were on the first work order I got.

At least it's clean.
Strange. The tilt is the other way now...

Steve
07-17-2015, 04:38 AM   #10

Original Poster
You're right. Not only is it now tilted the other way, but the tilt is much more severe.

Here's a pic from before I sent it off to Precision the second time.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're right. Not only is it now tilted the other way, but the tilt is much more severe.

Here's a pic from before I sent it off to Precision the second time.
At this point, I think it would be in Pentax's best interest to simply ship you a new camera. That is just my opinion, though I believe it should be enough to make a photo (RAW format) using the electronic level and e-mail it to them as evidence that the camera is still not fixed. The exif should confirm that both roll and pitch are zero and that Horizon Correction is off. You might also want to include a carpenter's bubble level in the photograph as a double confirmation.

Steve
07-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #12
Forum Member

I hate that Ricoh shut down all the Pentax service centers and centralized repairs. Too Soviet style for me. The apparent incompetence of Precision Camera (this is not the only story I have heard) has done little to divorce me of this feeling.
07-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you drop the camera or bump it into something ?
07-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by evilcartman Quote
I hate that Ricoh shut down all the Pentax service centers and centralized repairs. Too Soviet style for me. The apparent incompetence of Precision Camera (this is not the only story I have heard) has done little to divorce me of this feeling.
Well, it's too early to say how it will play out, but Ricoh/Pentax themselves have been very responsive. I've just shipped my K-3 out to their Denver office for someone there to evaluate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Did you drop the camera or bump it into something ?
No. The camera is pretty new and I've babied it since day #1.
07-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by evilcartman Quote
My memory is often not too good, but I believe that the closure of the Pentax-owned repair facility in Golden, Colorado happened under Hoya's ownership in about 2010.

Steve