Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2015, 09:31 PM   #1

K100 Super - Anyone Take One Apart - AF Motor May Be Bad

Searched this Forum and the Web and found symptoms very similar to mine. Press the shutter button and you get a slight clicking sound but everything in the viewfinder is dark. Plus I had some difficulty over the last few shots to get the camera to do anything. I would press the shutter button and nothing would happen. I would turn it off and back on and it would work.
Did all the standard bits - new batteries, different lenses, reset the camera, dust cleaning, new chip, the works.
With nothing to lose at this point I took off as many screws as I could see, but the case does not want to let go. I have no fear of diving into it to see what is going on, but a bit leary about putting too much pressure on anything.
Anyone disassembled a K100 Super that may be able to point me in the right direction.
Worst case, I pick a an upgrade. Even though it takes great pictures, technology has come a long ways since this came out.
Ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Steve

06-17-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the view finder is dark, make sure the lens cap is off!!!

Then remove the lens and look at the position of the mirror. If you can't see the mirror it is in the raised position blocking all light getting to the view finder.

If this is the case it's a mechanical problem.

Regards

Chris
06-18-2015, 12:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This sounds similar to what finally killed off my own K100D: the mechanism that flips the mirror failed and I ended up with the mirror permanently stuck halfway up. I was able to briefly get it working again by running the shutter test routine in debug mode, but not for long.

Realistically, your best option is a new camera.
06-18-2015, 01:02 AM   #4

There are screws under the leatherette so you have to at least peel it back in the right places. You'll probably need an adhesive like Plio-bond to glue the leatherette back securely.

You could download some of the service manuals from here. Be prepared to do some de-soldering and soldering. It's doubtful you can do much without the service software or parts since Ricoh will no longer sell parts to the end user.

Downloads

06-18-2015, 11:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
The mirror is in the raised position, I worked it and pulled as much of the case as I could possibly get, and still had a ton of parts to uncover. Knowing I can no longer get any parts as an end user and it seems spending $150+ to get old technology repaired, I think it is time to move on.
Thanks everyone for the input... it is greatly appreciated. I want to stay with Pentax, so I just need to figure what is the next body.