Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #1

k-5iis wont focus using a remote

I just purchase a vello freewave wireless shutter release remote and to my suprise it won't autofocus on my k-5iis. I tried it will my old k-7 and it works just fine. I also tried different lenses on both cameras and it refuses to focus on my k-5iis regardles of the lens, but still worka fine witht the k-7( same lenses used on both). Any idea what might be the problem? Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you

06-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is just a guess, but did you make sure to set your K-5 to focus priority in the custom function menu?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-18-2015, 01:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by outcast86 Quote
I just purchase a vello freewave wireless shutter release remote and to my suprise it won't autofocus on my k-5iis. I tried it will my old k-7 and it works just fine. I also tried different lenses on both cameras and it refuses to focus on my k-5iis regardles of the lens, but still worka fine witht the k-7( same lenses used on both). Any idea what might be the problem? Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you
Works okay on both of my K5IIs bodies and an older K5. It does require Record Menu 5, Button Customization, Shutter Button Half Press set to Enable AF.

You may have disabled it for exclusive use of the rear AF button. That really isn't necessary, you can have both enabled. I've been using rear AF so long, can't do it any other way.
06-18-2015, 01:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It also happened to me sometimes. I don't know why, cause I didn't change the settings. And, after a while, it works OK. It's part of ''Pentax mysterious behaviours''

06-18-2015, 04:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

K5iis manual... You need to enable it in the custom menu C3 # 18. Sorry Brooke but turning on or off the shutter half press has nothing to do with it enabling it, only whether or not the camera will focus or refocus if the Shutter is half pressed.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 06-18-2015 at 04:49 AM.
06-18-2015, 05:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah this happened to me too !

I bought a K-3, and tried out my IR remote, and it worked erratically at first, then it wouldn't work at all. I thought maybe I need to get a compatible model.

So I tried it on my K-5, and bingo ! It works without a problem !

I searched for a new remote, and they all claim to work on even the K-3.

So I went to K-mart, and bought a 4 pack of button batteries.

With a new battery in the IR remote, I aimed it at the K-3 ....... and it works perfectly !

Maybe the IR lens cover on the K-5 is darker and can see the faint IR signal from the remote, and the one on the K-3 is darker again and cannot see the faint IR light. Maybe the same on a K-7 vs the K-5ii.

Buy some batteries.
06-18-2015, 08:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
Wow, thank you for everybody's responses! I checked my all of your suggestions and i have it all set the right way, but i found out that what affects the AF is the cable .... If i have the jack thats its at 90degrees connected to the camera and the straight at the remote, it does not work, but if i reverse... It works as intended... I lnow it sounds silly but that is the only thing i change. But still on the k-7 the jack orientation does not matter...
06-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter

FWIW, I almost always turn AF off when shooting with the remote. In AF-S, there is the chance of missing the shot while the camera attempts to acquire focus. In AF-C, release priority, there is the risk of poor focus. Note that the default menu setting for AF with the IR remote is "off" for both the K-3 and K-5. AF with the wired remote follows the camera setting for AF.

FWIW, all Pentax dSLRs use the remote signaling for wired remotes. The same is true, AFAIK for the IR as well.

Note: PDAF will not work if the the mirror is locked up.

Steve

06-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by outcast86 Quote
Wow, thank you for everybody's responses! I checked my all of your suggestions and i have it all set the right way, but i found out that what affects the AF is the cable .... If i have the jack thats its at 90degrees connected to the camera and the straight at the remote, it does not work, but if i reverse... It works as intended... I lnow it sounds silly but that is the only thing i change. But still on the k-7 the jack orientation does not matter...
You got me curious. Looking at the Vello cable ends, the straight end fits inside the plastic boss around the camera shutter 2.5 mm female receptacle. The 90 end of the cable has a larger diameter molded housing that doesn't seat inside the camera boss. The 90 end must not be fully seating in the jack and not making contact. Tried both end on a K5IIs body, both work. Most likely a small mfg variance in the molding process on your cable.
06-18-2015, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
FWIW, I almost always turn AF off when shooting with the remote. In AF-S, there is the chance of missing the shot while the camera attempts to acquire focus. In AF-C, release priority, there is the risk of poor focus. Note that the default menu setting for AF with the IR remote is "off" for both the K-3 and K-5. AF with the wired remote follows the camera setting for AF.
I use a cheap two-button IR remote -- you can have it so the first button focuses and the second button fires so you can choose to focus or not. Usually am not focusing with the remote but comes in handy once in a while...
06-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #11

Original Poster
Well, i had an extra cable as well, that i used with my old remote (that got busted) both cables with have a straight and 90 degre connection, and both don't work properly when the 90 degree jack is pluged into the k-5iis , but it doesn't matter with the k-7.... So i don't know what might be the issue, but at least it works one way so, I'm ok with it. I dont have the time to return and re order due to leaving the country for vacation in 9 days...