Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #1

Stubborn/Persistent Dust on Sensor

I have for a time had problem with a spot/speck on the sensor of my Pentax K-5. I few weeks ago I acquired a lensklear pen (Lenspen SensorKlear II with Articulated Tip SK-1A B&H Photo) to try to clean it away myself when that didn't work I handed it in to the local photo store for cleaning.
Unfortunately when I got the camera back it still had the spot (although it had moved a bit). After two more tries the employee in the shop gave up and said he could not help me.
According to him he had tried both wet and dry cleaning in the appropriate order.
Now if it wasn't for that the spot actually moved during the cleaning I would have thought that it was a scratch. What can it be that is so persistent but still can move around on the sensor?
Do I have other options of how to properly clean the sensor?
Attaching two photos both taken at f22. One taken before cleaning and one after.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm. That looks like debris rather than a scratch. Maybe something from the stamen of a flower, sticky with pollen?

Over time I've had a couple of persistent bits of dust / debris that weren't removed by dust blower and wet cleaning. In both cases, I resolved the issue using a Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit. I'm not keen on it for full sensor cleaning - I prefer to use a blower followed by Digipads and solution. But, for picking off persistent spots of debris, it works very well indeed. Also, it's re-usable many, many times which makes it a good investment.

If you go down this route, I would still wet clean after using the O-ICK1 in case the debris leaves any sticky residue.
06-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #3

The dust I have gotten has never been anything that well defined. Always a very fuzzy appearance. Have you tried a different lens. Is it possible that it is in a part of the lens where it could looks so well defined? Just a crazy thought probably, but it looks so different from any dust I have ever got on my sensor.
06-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It becomes more defined the smaller the aperture, and some lenses stop down farther than others. +1 on the sticky thing, except I wouldn't do a wet cleaning (or anything) after unless you actually can see something is still there.

06-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TedW Quote
The dust I have gotten has never been anything that well defined. Always a very fuzzy appearance. Have you tried a different lens. Is it possible that it is in a part of the lens where it could looks so well defined? Just a crazy thought probably, but it looks so different from any dust I have ever got on my sensor.
A wide angle lens set to focus close at a large aperture seems to show dust much more clearly.
06-19-2015, 12:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If I recall correctly, the sensor is actually covered with a protective micromesh. It is possible looking at the shape of the debris that it's hooked into the screen. If it were mine, I'd be persisting with the adhesive dabbing style sensor cleaner; one dab, re-check, repeat. Think of it acting like velcro.
06-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
If I recall correctly, the sensor is actually covered with a protective micromesh. It is possible looking at the shape of the debris that it's hooked into the screen. If it were mine, I'd be persisting with the adhesive dabbing style sensor cleaner; one dab, re-check, repeat. Think of it acting like velcro.
I don't think so (micromesh on the surface) -- that would be a nightmare. It is smooth glass. But yes to the dabbing gel stick...

06-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes you're right. I was thinking of the metal based coatings they put on the glass.
06-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. It is independent of lens so definitely something on the sensor.
I will try Pentax O-ICK1 and this dabbing. Hopefully I can salvage it with that.
Thanks again.