Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #1

K3 and elinchrom skyport

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble triggering my elinchrom d-lite 4's using my skyport while attached to my k3. When I hit the test button on the skyport it works fine, but it doesn't seem the camera is 'talking' to the skyport. I cant find anyone that's had the same problem on forums etc.

The last camera I used with these lights was a Nikon d90 and it fine, worked straight away. I've tried changing the flash settings on the camera, switching to the wireless mode but I still can't seem to sync it.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Cheers.

06-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Delahaye303 Quote
I've tried changing the flash settings on the camera, switching to the wireless mode but I still can't seem to sync it.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

It is not clear from your question what you are trying to do. I can provide you with a few bullet points that may help:
  • The flash settings on the camera are for the on-board flash
  • Your strobes sync using RF wireless
  • Your camera does not have a built-in transmitter for RF wireless
  • You must use a elinchrome-compatible RF wireless (accessory) transmitter to trigger sync from your camera
  • Your camera will support either a hot-shoe mounted transmitter or one that attaches via a PC cable
  • To the best of my knowledge, you will not be able to control your strobe's output using the camera's P-TTL system
You might want to contact elinchrome support to see what they might suggest.

Steve
06-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

It is not clear from your question what you are trying to do. I can provide you with a few bullet points that may help:
  • The flash settings on the camera are for the on-board flash
  • Your strobes sync using RF wireless
  • Your camera does not have a built-in transmitter for RF wireless
  • You must use a elinchrome-compatible RF wireless (accessory) transmitter to trigger sync from your camera
  • Your camera will support either a hot-shoe mounted transmitter or one that attaches via a PC cable
  • To the best of my knowledge, you will not be able to control your strobe's output using the camera's P-TTL system
You might want to contact elinchrome support to see what they might suggest.

Steve
Cheers for the reply. I am using the elinchrom radio trigger trigger - Skyport. The problem is that that it's triggering the flash when I fire a shot while attached to the hot shoe. But it does when I hit the test button on the skyport.
06-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Make sure that you're not trying to shoot with a shutter speed that is faster than Pentax's sync speed, as your flash guns will not fire then. Also, I have an inexpensive radio flash trigger set that i use on my K20D and if my battery isn't fully charged then it doesn't trigger the controller and my flash guns don't fire.
Hope that helps!

06-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

After reading the original post I decided to test the system on my K3 and K3ii and got the same result as the original poster. I have used the Skyport with the Elinchrom dLite 2it and BX500RXi flashes with very inconstant results on the K5ii and K3 before, but never to the extent that the Skyport would not fire the flashes. Tried changing the battery with the same results. Pulled out my Nikon D600 and bingo the flashes fired constantly. After trying the Nikon, I remounted the Skyport on the K3 and it began firing with a pause of 2 to 3 seconds between shots. The position of the antenna seem to affect the constancy of the strobes firing with the K-3 over the D600. Same was true with the K3ii.
06-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I has the Skyport years ago. Nothing but trouble.
Even when it did work, the sky port is slow and with the shutter speed above 1/125s I would often get black band showing from the shutter. (advertised to work up to 1/1000 with mechanical shutter) Argued with Elinchrom for six months about the problem... they finally admitted they are not fast enough and have since changed their marketing specs.

I had a long period where Skyport would simply not work at all. Sent the camera in for repair. They found nothing... yeah there was nothing wrong with the camera.

Finally sold the units and now use another brand. Never had another issue since.
06-20-2015, 06:19 AM   #7

Original Poster
brilliant, shutter speed was the culprit. I was shooting on 200, which didn't seem excessive to me. Dropped down to 125 and they're now working. I've ordered a sync cable, do you think that will allow me to shoot at faster shutter speeds?

06-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
brilliant, shutter speed was the culprit. I was shooting on 200, which didn't seem excessive to me. Dropped down to 125 and they're now working. I've ordered a sync cable, do you think that will allow me to shoot at faster shutter speeds?
Yeah,sadly Pentax cripples their cameras by shutting off the flash completely if you exceed the sync-speed (1/180s) and you cannot fire any flash unless it is a PTTL-HighSpeedSync (HSS) compatible flash.

Most brands allow the photographer to use flash above the sync speed -- and it has its uses.
But Pentax thinks you'll just poke your eye out with that, kid.
06-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Pentax! lol

So if i buy the Sigma EF 610 DG i'll have the same issues obviously?
06-21-2015, 06:31 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks Pentax! lol

So if i buy the Sigma EF 610 DG i'll have the same issues obviously?
If you want to use them off camera with radio triggers, yes. I have 2 610 supers and while they do have HSS it's only available in pttl mode and I'm not sure if any wireless trigger brands out there support Pentax ttl, so you're forced to switch the flash to manual and lose the HSS capabilities. Flash is not a forte of Pentax unless you spend a lot of money, glad I don't need it that often as I'm usually shooting landscape stuff.

---------- Post added 06-21-2015 at 06:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
If you want to use them off camera with radio triggers, yes. I have 2 610 supers and while they do have HSS it's only available in pttl mode and I'm not sure if any wireless trigger brands out there support Pentax ttl, so you're forced to switch the flash to manual and lose the HSS capabilities. Flash is not a forte of Pentax unless you spend a lot of money, glad I don't need it that often as I'm usually shooting landscape stuff.
Oh if you use a tethering cord with the 610 super you'll be able to use hss though. You're limited only when you want to go wireless