Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clock resets with battery change

Seems like when I remove the battery from my K30 to charge it, when I put it back I have to reset the date and time. Any idea why this is happening?

06-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Does it only happen when you leave it out for a long time, or if you remove it while charged and put it back in a moment later? It should retain the info for some period of time without a battery inserted. I don't think that time is measured in days, though.
Might want to just get some extra batteries (and a much more convenient and flexible charger) so you can just switch batteries instead of having to wait for one to recharge. I've been very happy with these:
Amazon.com : Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Pentax D-LI90 and Pentax 645D, 645Z, K-01, K-3, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-7 : Digital Camera Batteries : Camera & Photo
06-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It will do that after some time with no power. How long is the clock supposed to keep going with no battery or dead battery? Anybody know? (And what exactly internally is powering it?)

Most of the time I'm just swapping one battery for another so that doesn't happen, but I have noticed (with the Q especially) that I have to reset the clock after a seemingly short time with no power. Seems like it should last a while considering a cheap digital watch can run for years on a tiny battery...
06-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just popped the battery for about 10 seconds and it still did it! I don't remember that in the past.

Last edited by Spodeworld; 06-19-2015 at 08:42 AM.
06-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Presumably the battery is charging an internal battery and so if it is dead (i.e. you just had to reset it) and you only have a fresh battery in there a short time and then take it out, it will die again quickly. Or the internal battery is just bad. Was that battery freshly charged and how long was it in there? If you put in a fresh charged battery and let it sit for 24 hours, it shouldn't be losing time after 10 seconds out. If that's the case something is wrong. (Still would recommend you get yourself some more batteries though -- you can get a pair of wasabis and a charger on amazon for less than $30.)
06-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

As far as I know there is a so-called supercap (kind of battery) in the camera. When it looses its capacity, you will get the behaviour that the clock needs to be set after removing the main battery.

It's unfortunately not a user replaceable part.
06-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The charge was fairly low, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I have a fully charged battery in there now and let's see what happens when it sits in there for a day or so.

If not, i guess I'll just have to live with it....unless it is covered under the extended warranty.

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Presumably the battery is charging an internal battery and so if it is dead (i.e. you just had to reset it) and you only have a fresh battery in there a short time and then take it out, it will die again quickly. Or the internal battery is just bad. Was that battery freshly charged and how long was it in there? If you put in a fresh charged battery and let it sit for 24 hours, it shouldn't be losing time after 10 seconds out. If that's the case something is wrong. (Still would recommend you get yourself some more batteries though -- you can get a pair of wasabis and a charger on amazon for less than $30.)
06-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
The charge was fairly low, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I have a fully charged battery in there now and let's see what happens when it sits in there for a day or so.

If not, i guess I'll just have to live with it....unless it is covered under the extended warranty.
If it sits there for a day and you can't even take it out for 10 seconds, I'd say that is definitely warranty repair worthy, assuming that battery is actually good and your camera works as it should for a reasonable time (actually taking photos) that you'd expect from a fresh battery...

06-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So this happened on my new'ish K3 as well. I called Ricoh USA and was told it seems like a bad capacitor that stores the charge on board the circuit for date-time. I did some research online and this problem seems to happen for some items within some models, but the other settings on the camera are not stored in the same spot that uses that capacitor so those are unaffected.

I sent it in to Precision for repair, they ordered a part called 'Front Housing' but that wasn't supposed to get there for another couple of months. Since I need the camera next weekend, I got it shipped back to me rather than just have it sitting in Connecticut. I may send it back later.

On a related note, the 'front housing' seems like a plastic part - not sure what that has to do with the circuitry. Does anyone know?
06-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #10

If you can get away with taking the battery out and instantly replacing it without loosing the settings (camera switched off) it would be cheaper to get a spare battery.
06-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by realitarian Quote
So this happened on my new'ish K3 as well. I called Ricoh USA and was told it seems like a bad capacitor that stores the charge on board the circuit for date-time. I did some research online and this problem seems to happen for some items within some models, but the other settings on the camera are not stored in the same spot that uses that capacitor so those are unaffected.
It's not about storing information, it's about providing power to the clock circuitry so the clock keeps on running (just like the battery in a watch). The settings are stored in a memory that does not require power to retain the settings (e.g. flash).
06-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
As far as I know there is a so-called supercap (kind of battery) in the camera. When it looses its capacity, you will get the behaviour that the clock needs to be set after removing the main battery.
Actually it it one of the cheapest and nastiest rechargeable lithium button cells soldered to the motherboard. It is charged from the main camera battery. Since it is rated at only some 100 cycles max, don't store your Pentax camera with the main battery removed or discharged
06-30-2015, 01:13 PM   #13
Forum Member

Why did they order a front piece? Yikes

Last edited by pishta; 06-30-2015 at 02:54 PM.
06-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #14
Forum Member

Ive been repairing this problem on Olympus C-5050 cameras for years. The issue is with an SMT mounted 'super-capacitor' on the rear of the main pcb in your camera. Its basically a 3.3v battery as the capacitance is huge at .2F. The part is available through digikey for about $1.50 and on a K-x, its behind the pcb which has about 24 solder points you have to desolder and 5 ribbon cables. I do this repair for $30 flat plus return postage. Here is link to part number
DCK-3R3E204T614-E Elna America | 604-1078-ND | DigiKey
06-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Pentax used to use a lithium cell memory back-up that was only rated for about 50 cycles of 100% discharge
A "Double layer" super capacitor should be good for thousands of cycles...?