Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pishta Quote
If it is a vertical line going down the entire side of the pic, its a bad trace on the CCD. Not repairable unless you replace the CCD sensor. Photoshop can remove it or crop every shot to delete that border. Cropping is easiest way to work around it. I had a mint condition Oly C-8080 develop same problem. Faulty Sony sourced CCD's were not sealed (fused) properly during manufacturing and allowed moisture to corrode microscopic traces.
Except that the K3 doesn't have a CCD. Would that apply to CMOS as well?

06-30-2015, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love your second shot in particular btw.

I can't find the dang lines you guys see. My eyes are a mess. Can you enhance them or circle them? Can you post a blue sky picture or a blank wall picture also?
06-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The K5 and the K3 II have a "dust alert" feature, I assume the K3 also has it. I can see something in the first picture above the wind turbines, it looks too regular to be something on the surface.
06-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Except that the K3 doesn't have a CCD. Would that apply to CMOS as well?
Of course. Same basic construction. Mine was more visible if you took a pic of a dark sky, it would be a very thin orange line. I cant see it in your pics either, but mine was only an 8Mp sensor as compared to your 14Mp or higher.

06-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

A rough measurement of the width assuming that the picture isn't cropped is 1.175mm. The clouds in the second picture mask the fault so well that even knowing where to look is problematic. More test shots would help.
06-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only thing I see is a slightly dark BOX (vertical rectangle) above the windmills in the first shot. It is very faint. However if that is what you are talking about - I agree that isn't likely dust. It's really odd looking but hard to see.
07-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The only thing I see is a slightly dark BOX (vertical rectangle) above the windmills in the first shot. It is very faint. However if that is what you are talking about - I agree that isn't likely dust. It's really odd looking but hard to see.
That is all I see as well and I agree that it is not likely to be dust, though I would not rule out a botched wet cleaning attempt. More likely is a sensor issue.

Steve

07-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatever it is, it seems quite large. What do you see if you look at the sensor with a magnifying glass?
07-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
The mark is clearer on the first image...yes it is the vertical line directly above the wind turbines. Actually, I have had a positive result by following advice in this thread: I used the Giotto blower on the sensor (camera upside down) and it seems to have fixed the issue. Subsequent images dont appear to have it anymore, even though it didnt look like dust, being a little too symetrical for my liking.
Thanks to all for your imput.
07-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #25
Forum Member

I see it now, I was on a tablet that didnt have the resolution to discern the dark area (over the windmills....what windmills?) . This does not look like a bad CCD/CMOS trace, but maybe something else related to the sensor. OH, just read your last post, you got the foreign debris out, fantastic!