Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2015, 03:18 AM   #1

problem with k3ii

hello I just take my k3ii and I have serious problems with that.
I think that the problem begin by the activation of the gps. since then the camera has block I take out the battery many times but nothing works.
the camera can not set off I can not set of the gps and I can not access the menu. HELP.

06-20-2015, 04:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Documented here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/297794-k-3-ii-refusing-shut-down.html

Send it back for a replacement.
06-20-2015, 04:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/297533-k...le-camera.html

Same same.
06-20-2015, 05:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks a lot for your reply, so there are more cases with the same problem, you think that the right is to send it back?

06-20-2015, 06:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes. Very few cases posted on PF, which suggests you and others have a faulty product. Send it back.
06-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks a lot

06-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a K3II too. Had it now about 10 days.

The GPS on my K3II works perfectly all of the time.

06-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Oh Oh, I spoke too soon.

Just went outside and tested and retested the GPS on my K3II. To my surprise, it did lock up the camera and I could not shut the camera off. I had to remove the battery and re-install it. Then everything worked normally again, even the GPS.

This only happened once, and try as I might, I could not get the K3II's GPS to lock up the camera again.

Because it only happened just the one time, my sense is that this camera lock up only happens when you have certain settings on the camera. I don't know what it is that triggers this total camera lockup, if I find out I will be sure to tell everyone.

I'm not sending my K3II back because of this defect. It rarely happens, and it's not big deal to me, I just take the battery out, re-install it and I'm back in business. To me, it's not a big deal and it's a work-around that I can certainly live with.

Having said that, it would be nice if Richoh could maybe fix this minor problem with a firmware update. RICHOH, ARE YOU LISTENING????
06-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #9

Original Poster
in my case the camera is still blocked after 50 times i take out the battery and in again . i put the camera back into the box and i will try to send it back on monday.
i live in Greece but i took the camera from amazon.com do you know if i have too send it back to america or if i can send somewhere in europe?
06-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

SIMOSVAK, I do not know the Amazon.com returns policy. I suggest that you contact them for instructions on how and where to return it. Most retailers provide detailed instructions on how to return a product on the back side of your receipt. Many require that you call or email the seller first to get an RMA authorization number.

I have now done further testing on my GPS. I was able to get it to lock up a second time this afternoon. But once again, when I shut it off, removed the battery, and then immediately put the battery back in everything went back to normal again.

I tried something after the second lock up due to the GPS. I found that in the menu settings there is a menu item that allows you to calibrate the GPS. I did this (it involves rotating your camera in 3 dimensions). I am hopeful that maybe this solves the GPS locking up the whole camera problem. Anyway, my K3ii has not locked up since I calibrated the GPS. But it's too early to tell yet if this is a permanent fix for the lock up problem or not. I will report back to everyone tomorrow on how things are going.

Simosvak, being in Greece may make it even more critical that you calibrate the GPS on your new K3ii before using it. After all, your GPS is using completely different satellites then my GPS is using here in Wisconsin USA. If I lived in Greece and had a new K3ii, the first thing that I'd do to it would be to calibrate the GPS unit. Have you done that yet?

Dave
06-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Simosvak, being in Greece may make it even more critical that you calibrate the GPS on your new K3ii before using it.
The calibration is for the magnetometer (direction sensing), nothing to do with the GPS (positioning).
06-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by simosvak Quote
hello I just take my k3ii and I have serious problems with that.
I think that the problem begin by the activation of the gps. since then the camera has block I take out the battery many times but nothing works.
the camera can not set off I can not set of the gps and I can not access the menu. HELP.
And please post the serial number here if possible:

Pentax K-3 II Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
The calibration is for the magnetometer (direction sensing), nothing to do with the GPS (positioning).
kh1234567890, what makes you say that? The camera menu clearly reads "GPS" and "Calibration". Which I conclude means calibration for the GPS feature.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-20-2015 at 04:28 PM.
06-21-2015, 02:50 AM   #14

Original Poster
i have done the callibration to the gps. did not help. the screen status is blocked to the compass and the camera shut down only by getting the battery out.
06-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Simosvak, sounds like it's time to maybe think about returning your K3II. Good luck with your return. I have heard good things about Amazon.com and their returns policy.

I did the recalibration on my GPS and my compass still works perfectly.

I will be keeping my K3II because, at this time, my rare and sporadic GPS problem is only a minor annoyance to me. But I will be watching it closely over the next few days and if the GPS gets to be as bad as yours, I will be returning my K3II to my vendor. Also, after my 30 day replacement policy, I also have a one year Pentax/Ricoh warranttee. So if the GPS problem does get worse in a few months I expect that I'll be able to send my K3ii in to Pentax/Ricoh for a free repair.

Anyway, the joys of being an early adopter!

DAVe