Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-500 metering trouble with Kit lens

Hi,
I've been a happy Pentax user from past 11 months. I bought a Pentax K-500 last July-2014.
Things have been quite smooth and I'm quite pleased with the image quality, performance it offers.
The K-500 helped me to establish myself in line to become a professional.
Nowadays I'm largely using a SMC 50mm f2 manual lens for most of my assignments.
Yesterday I switched back to kit lens DAL 18-55mm, but the camera is consistently under exposing the images. Despite using the proper exposure in manual mode. (Even in auto mode with EV compensation of +5 in bright daylight)
Key pointer is, the screen appears dark, even in live view in bright daylight.
When I switched back to manual lens and used in Av mode, where camera meters for me, the metering works flawlessly. Even in manual mode, green button meters just fine.
But in kit lens, the photos are just under exposed despite every effort.
I cleaned the contacts and lens, everything seems good.
As this is my first DSLR, seeing it malfunction is disheartening. Even more the Pentax service network is non existent here in India.
Currently i've switched back to manual lens as i've a pre wedding shoot tomorrow.
Any inputs, suggestions are a welcome.
Pentaxians in India please provide details of service centers in Banglore.
Thank you,
Regards.
Edit: The problem being, the aperture is closed down to f22 despite choosing f3. 5 in camera. Thus resulting in dark images.
any help is appreciated.

Last edited by HHHkumar; 06-20-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: problem found.
06-20-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried cleaning the lens contacts, lens mount, and verifying that the aperture level moves freely? If so, then you're right, there could be something wrong with the lens. But also make sure that you camera isn't in spot metering mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you tried cleaning the lens contacts, lens mount, and verifying that the aperture level moves freely? If so, then you're right, there could be something wrong with the lens. But also make sure that you camera isn't in spot metering mode.
Thank you Adam for the replay,
Yes the mount & the lens contacts have been cleaned properly.
The aperture is snappy & moves freely.
The problem is,the lens is a standard 18-55mm f3.5-5.6. At the wide end i.e; at 18mm with an aperture setting of F3.5, the camera meters for the above said settings.
But when fire away & shutter operates, the aperture just snaps close. Thus resulting in a dark image.
The aperture lever mechanism seems to be the cause of malfunction here.
To cross examine the aperture lever mechanism, I tried optical DOF, whenever I try optical DOF settings, the mechanism just steps down properly.
When i tried to shoot, the aperture is snapped close to f/22.
May be it has something to do with the body, as the aperture lever is controlled in the body.
May be an examination by a professional may resolve the problem,.
Thank you.
06-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, sounds like a potential issue with the camera's actuator.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-21-2015, 12:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There is a known issue with the K30/K50 and the aperture activation. The K500 more than likely has the same mechanism.

You should still be in the warranty period, so I suggest that you use it.