Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Weird Portrait Orientation Exposure Issue w/K-3 (Solved: Its the lens)

I'm wondering if this is a camera thing, a lens thing, a grip thing or what, but I noticed today that if I shoot my K-3 with the shutter button down (ie, I rotate the camera clockwise to shoot as opposed to my normal counter clockwise) the camera will, almost without fail, overexpose by a few stops.

Is this 'normal' or should I be wary of something going awry with my camera? If it only does it when I shoot the camera oriented one way, I'll just avoid doing so in the future, but I'd like to know if anyone else has noticed this.

I'm going to give this a more thorough investigation of sorts tomorrow when I'm more awake and can actively try to recreate the issue, but for now I figured I'd just ask (and possibly save myself some work).

Last edited by Sagitta; 06-21-2015 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Figured it out (sort of)
06-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be the lightmeter orientation puts it in a different exposure zone.
06-20-2015, 11:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take the lens off and see if you're got something loose and flopping around inside. Can't think of what, but there could be something that puts a shadow over the meter in that orientation. If so, it would have to get flicked out of the way when the mirror flips up. Highly unlikely, but worth ruling out.
06-20-2015, 11:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I have actually noticed something like that with my K-3 with the grip mounted. I was just assuming that I accidentally moved the dial when I changed orientation. I will watch for it from now on to see if it is me, or the camera that is doing this.

06-21-2015, 02:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I see no significant difference.
06-21-2015, 05:33 AM   #6
Banned

No difference here either, in any of the metering modes, regardless of camera orientation.
06-21-2015, 05:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Are you sure you're pointing identically? Because of most people's preference for one hand, you may be pointing higher with it held one way rather than the other. Especially if you are using spot metering, that can easily produce a very different exposure if the sky is involved.
06-21-2015, 06:06 AM   #8

I always have my grip on and turn my K3 from horizontal to verticle position many times during shooting events and have never noticed this to happen. I did have a sigma lens once upon a time and the electrical connections were giving me fits, but nothing like you have described here.
Theo

06-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I haven't had a chance to fiddle any more, but these two shots were shot with identical settings in 'M' mode. Obviously, theres something going on.

Both shots are 1/400 second, f/9, ISO 100 and taken 6 seconds apart with the Samyang 85mm. The only difference was that I had the camera rotated 180 degrees between each shot. I had more, but I deleted them as I was shooting before I caught on to what was going on. FWIW, I saw someone mention the grip up above, and I was using mine at the time which is what prompted me to be shooting backwards from normal as I was down at ground level so it was easier to shoot via the grip with the camera 'upside down' so to speak. I kept getting blown out images until I 'accidentally' held the camera normal and had a usable image. I green-buttoned the blown out shot, so the camera apparently metered thinking things were much darker than they really were.

Last edited by Sagitta; 06-21-2015 at 08:17 AM.
06-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #10
dms
Site Supporter

Try center weighted and/or spot metering. Problem w/ matrix metering it uses a "black box" algorithm.
06-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just sat and messed around with the camera trying to figure this out - its the lens (Samyang 85mm f/1.4 - an amazing piece of glass, but obviously it has issues). This is the same lens that I was having issues with last winter because as soon as it started getting below freezing the lens would start blowing out any shots I tried taking with it. I'm wondering if the blades are a bit too tight and under certain conditions won't release properly.