Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2015, 08:34 AM   #1

Shutter speed meter problem on K1000

Hi,

I'm a new owner of a Pentax K1000. I bought it off eBay quiet a while back and was told that everything was working and when I first got it everything did seem to work. The shutter speed seemed right even the slower ones, the lens was clean and there were no light leaks or anything. Though the meter was always in the middle so I just replaced the battery as I thought it was dead, the meter seems to adjust accordingly with the change in aperture but remain unchanged when changing the shutter speed. Has anyone had this problem? Can I try to fix myself or have it looked by someone else? I'm asking if I can do it myself as I live in Perth and there aren't too many shops that I know that can look at film cameras.

I also looked around the forum and I can't find anyone with the same problem, must be bad searching skills or bad luck.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

06-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Is there any chance you have inserted the battery upside down? Beyond that, it is quite possible that your meter is no longer working properly, though usually that would affect both the aperture and shutter speed Edit: not so. If you wish to attempt a repair yourself, you will need:
  • A set of JIS cross-point miniature screwdrivers and other tools appropriate for working with small parts
  • Steady hands
  • Either excellent eyesight or a workbench magnifier
  • Accurate multimeter
  • Experience and gear for fine soldering
  • A service manual explaining how things work and where things are: Pentax Manuals. The manual available from the linked page includes detailed instructions on how to troubleshoot and fix the problem you described.
Google may also be your friend.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-21-2015 at 10:30 AM.
06-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #3

You can download a service manual from Pentax-Manuals. You can attempt a DIY if you have the tools and skills to do so.

Pentax Manuals
06-22-2015, 02:05 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can download a service manual from Pentax-Manuals. You can attempt a DIY if you have the tools and skills to do so.

Pentax Manuals
Failing all the above Camera Electronics in Stirling street can help you.
Cheers, Trish

06-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, I'll have a read of the manual and I'll decide whether to do it myself or not. And I'll be sure to have a chat with Camera Electronics if I go that route, thanks Trish.