Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2015, 02:11 AM   #1

Dropped my K5 - view through viewfinder is blurry

Hi all,

Had a bit of an accident - I dropped my K5 the other day. Looks like the bottom of the lens took the impact, there is no visible damage (not even a scratch in the paint) on the body. BUT, now the view through the viewfinder is totally blurry. Camera focuses fine and shots are in focus when using live-view or viewing the photo on the LCD panel. Everything else seems to work as usual, I just can't see any of the details inside the viewfinder or view the frame in focus before taking the shot.

I tried adjusting the diopter but it seems like it doesn't do anything, no change to blurrines/focus through the viewfinder when I adjust the slider.

Any ideas what may be wrong? I will most likely take it to service but thought I'd ask here as well in case anyone has had a similar issue/fix.

06-23-2015, 03:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is the focusing screen in place? I would try to get it out and place back. Very slight movement can cause big difference. The mirror should be in place if PDAF is working. Can you get sharp image by manual fousing to somewhere, for example to infinity whith the subject in macro distance?
06-23-2015, 05:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can remove the focusing screen to replace it. Look for those instructions so you know what it should look like. It sounds like it may have jumped out of the mount frame. Hopefully that frame isn't damaged.
06-25-2015, 06:29 AM   #4

Original Poster
I removed and re-seated the focusing screen, but still have the same issue.

I actually looked through the viewfinder with the focusing screen totally removed, and the indicators in the viewfinder were still blurred, so I suspect probably a deeper issue. I guess the next step is to go for service.

Thanks for the help guys.

06-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I don't know what else to suggest, perhaps the final lens in the viewfinder is out of whack now. Hopefully this won't cost you much.
06-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Yeah, I don't know what else to suggest, perhaps the final lens in the viewfinder is out of whack now. Hopefully this won't cost you much.
indeed!

Dropped camera with blurry view afterward could be any number of things, most not easy to fix. Once the focus screen seating was confirmed the list goes like this:
  • Mirror out of alignment (yes, this can happen and still have the AF appear to be functional)
  • Chassis broken in area around pentaprism
  • Pentaxprism broken
  • Ocular out of position and/or broken
  • Broken diopter mechanism

Steve
06-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
Forum Member

Does the K-5 actually use a pentaprism or just a mirror? If the construction is like a K-x, the top comes right off with 5 screws, 2 behind the diopter rubber, 2 under the strap anchors and 1 in the battery well. Might be a 6th on the left side as you use it. Once unscrewed the top lifts off easily with 1 ribbon connector (flip up connector) to mode dial and many wires to flash but they are loose and dont need to be disturbed. The pentaprism or mirror are visible and can be inspected for chassis or mount issues. This teardown is based on a K-x. Im betting the diopter lens came loose.

06-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The flagship models all have pentaprisms and loads of weather seals. I'm not sure they're as simple to dissemble as the Kx. At this point, though...maybe it's worth the try.

I do think the diopter lens is the most likely failure point, but certainly not the only option.
06-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The flagship models all have pentaprisms and loads of weather seals. I'm not sure they're as simple to dissemble as the Kx. At this point, though...maybe it's worth the try.

I do think the diopter lens is the most likely failure point, but certainly not the only option.
Yep, and all of the most likely problems requires the services of a competent shop to fix, if indeed the problem is fixable. Two rules I was taught early on:
  • Never buy a camera or lens with evidence of being dropped
  • Never drop your camera or lens

Steve
06-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, and all of the most likely problems requires the services of a competent shop to fix, if indeed the problem is fixable.....

Steve
I respectfully disagree:Broken LCD due to fall, completely DIY repairable. Diopter inspection, memory card reader contacts, broken battery door, date capacitor....All repaired by myself. All weather sealing still needs to be serviceable, thin rubber O-rings or gaskets at most. If its out of warranty, send it to me and Ill take a look at it. If I cant fix it, youll only be out round trip shipping. And it wont come back in any worse shape, I guarantee it. PM me.

Repaired:
K-x (3) LCD, ribbon connector, flash capacitor, power button
Oly C-8080 CMOS
Oly C-5060 mode dial
Oly C-5050 (4) CCD, mode dial, capacitor, jammed lens
06-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pishta Quote
I respectfully disagree:
I am sorry...I guess I did not see that you had fixed a problem similar to the OPs. FWIW, the K-5 is VERY different than the K-x.

Steve
06-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
Forum Member

Steve, you would be suprised what little is in these. I serviced a Kodak Z990 bridge camera and there was 1 rather small PCB in there that mounted right up to the fixed lens. Modern VLSI (Very large scale integration) tech has put everything on under 10 IC's and their supporting clamp circuits. The rest is Batteries, LCD, flash and lens mount. That old school C-8080 had 4 boards on top of each other connected with no less than 8 ribbon cables and a dozen soldered wires.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1028  Photo 
07-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pishta Quote
Steve, you would be suprised what little is in these. I serviced a Kodak Z990 bridge camera and there was 1 rather small PCB in there that mounted right up to the fixed lens. Modern VLSI (Very large scale integration) tech has put everything on under 10 IC's and their supporting clamp circuits. The rest is Batteries, LCD, flash and lens mount. That old school C-8080 had 4 boards on top of each other connected with no less than 8 ribbon cables and a dozen soldered wires.
No, I would not be surprised...

You may want to review this thread regarding the problem you are wanting to repair and the skills you bring to the task.

Steve

(...VLSI is so 1970s...)
07-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #14
Forum Member

I believe remounting a shifted diopter is well within my skill set. That's what I am proposing. Many people think tech is untouchable without a degree in EE. It may take a degree to design it but mechanical repair is just careful observation and an understanding of mechanics.
VLSI is old, you should see the restoration hobby car in my garage.....