Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #1

Precision camera kept my lens - HELP!

I sent in my K50 (purchased in nov 14) under warranty for focus inconsistencies. I received a warranty shipping label and sent in the camera WITH my Sigma 50-150 HMS lens. I got the camera back today WITH NO LENS!!! The paperwork reads "no lens", even though I included it on my submission paperwork. Am I going to have a problem here? The explanation of repairs lists contacts and connection items repair, auto focus recalibration and realignment, firmware corrections and adjustments and cleaning. They also included a paper telling me they think the problem is my lens. What? AND they charged me $173.45 - this was suppose to be a warranty repair?!!

I'm so mad right now I'm shaking. Has anyone had this happened to them? Where the folks at Precision responsive? Help me feel better here people, cause I'm livid!

06-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

1. Contact Ricoh Customer Care and explain to them what the dispute is. Have serial numbers for lens and body avaiable
  2. Contact Precision. It's difficult to reach them by phone but not impossible. Email is probably a waste of time. Since you have a street address for them you could always send a registered letter.
  3. File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. There are plenty on file
  4. File a dispute with you credit card company. The CC company may even have warranty coverage.
  5. Post on the RIAC Community Forum which is run by Ricoh. While it is rumored that Ricoh sometimes monitors the posts here Ricoh does not run this forum and there is no guarantee that Ricoh will even be aware of your posts here.
06-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Contact Ricoh and Precision, I'm sure they'll make things right. Hopefully just an honest mistake.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-26-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have never been anything but impressed with Precision. They even correct others mistakes (including mine)... Tip ... dial select for Billing/payment goes right to CS reps...

06-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yet another reason for Ricoh to dump precision and start their own company repair shop.
06-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #6

I've have nothing but good things to say about Ricoh,they are always quick to reply and resolve any issues.I could say the opposite about Precision camera,my camera was also supposed to be repaired under warranty and they said they were waiting for payment from me before they returned my camera.Ricoh took care of that but Precision returned the camera but never repaired it so it's back there again for the same issue.They have had my camera more than i have this year! Save your breath and go to Ricoh support.Surely they will get the idea that customers are not happy with Precision sooner or later?
06-27-2015, 07:35 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
I've have nothing but good things to say about Ricoh,they are always quick to reply and resolve any issues.I could say the opposite about Precision camera,my camera was also supposed to be repaired under warranty and they said they were waiting for payment from me before they returned my camera.Ricoh took care of that but Precision returned the camera but never repaired it so it's back there again for the same issue.They have had my camera more than i have this year! Save your breath and go to Ricoh support.Surely they will get the idea that customers are not happy with Precision sooner or later?
Oh lord, hopefully this isn't why my K-50 has been in for warranty repairs for the last month...

I'd certainly be asking both companies whats happening here, and try to be calm about it. nothing gets you shafted quite as quickly as being angry and rude, no matter how much they deserve it.
06-28-2015, 05:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best thing to always do in situations like this is contact the merchant first before jumping the gun. This could be an honest mistake that they can easily fix before contacting the BBB, CIA and FBI.

07-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #9

i sent my k5 in for an extended warranty free cleaning in may. they returned the camera to me within 2 weeks but charged me 206.50. it took a month, but after calls, emails, and disputing the charge with my cc, they finally credited my account. good luck.
07-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #10

Original Poster
Update: It took me almost 2 weeks of calling before someone actually answered the phone today, here is what happened. First off, the customer service rep I spoke with was very nice and answered all my questions. Apparently, since the lens I sent in was not connected to the camera, the paperwork for the K50 shows "no lens." The attached a different tag number to the lens, but never communicated that there WAS a tag number for the lens or what that number was.

They serviced the camera and sent it back to me. Then, sent the Sigma lens back to Sigma for an evaluation / repair without notifying me of the process. Sigma received my lens on July 2nd, so I am going to let them do there thing, (I might as well have them go through it since its there).

As for the charges; the CS rep confirmed that they did charge my card and claimed they did not have my copy of the sales receipt that I TAPED to the top of the camera box. I will be sending them a new copy of the receipt so they can reverse the charges.

The customer service experience was very good once I got someone on the phone, but the communication with the Precision in general is atrocious. I have never received a response to any e-mails since the process started. If I had a choice as a consumer, I would have never sent them my camera in the first place, based on the intake process alone.

I will follow up once I get my lens back, hopefully before the warranty period on my camera expires.

Thanks for the supportive suggestions.
07-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Hopefully this works out for you, glad it's looking like it will.

I have to wonder why they even have an email address if they never respond to emails. Is it just so people won't bother them by calling?