Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Astrophotography Wich Samyang ?

Hi
I am a newbe in astrophotography and I have doubts chosing wich Samyang should I buy betwen 10mm, 14 mm or 16 mm. I have Pentax K-3 with lens kit 18-135 and SMC DA 35mm lens. So I would like to know wicth should I buy. In future I expect upgrade to full frame. The more I read the more confuse I feel.
Can anyone help me shoose?

Thanks in advance
Antonio

06-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought only the 14mm is FF compatible, the 10mm and 16mm have heavy vignetting. So if you plan on shooting film or buying FF, then your choices are limited. That said, the other two lenses are fine lenses as well, but might not be fully compatible with FF. You can do a google search for test photos to see how bad it is.
The 24mm f1.4 is a good choice as well, but costs a lot more. We have a bunch of threads about Samyang 14mm already. Basically, make sure you get a good copy, check that its not decentered, then check its focus. Many of these have a miscalibrated focus ring. You can learn the true numbers or even calibate it yourself, its not too difficult.
Also, the Samyang lenses are sold under many other names like Bower, Rokinon, ProOptic, Walimex, Vivitar, and others. Usually it depends on your location, but sometimes the same store will carry the same 14mm lens under different brand names for different prices. Just get the cheapest one.
06-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
THanks

I decided 14 mm expecting compatibility with future FF.
Thanks
Antonio