Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #1

Service centers advice

Hi,

I'm having problems with my K-x from some time.
The camera "works" fine taking pictures but after some shoots, the files on SD card are not readable in a PC.
I have formatted the card, several times and also used different cards, so I'm pretty sure the cards are not the problem

The camera is obviously out of warranty and since I have read a lot of stories about bad service, I'm wondering what could be my best option
to send the camera to check, any suggestion is welcome.

I'm living in West Texas, so if there are close option that would be great!!

Thanks!!

07-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would probably cost more to fix it, than to just replace it.
07-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

Precision quotes 206 dollars for that camera to repair.. that is just an averaged figure though I suspect.. it is definitely not accurate to your specific situation but at least a ballpark rough estimate cost.

So you can either pay around 200 dollars (give or take 100 bucks I suspect) for repair, or buy a new camera body. One can buy a brand new K-50 (with a 1 year warranty) for around 300 dollars...

edit: wait, I misread what you said, OP. The CAMERA is taking photos OK. it is only when trying to access them on the COMPUTER that you have the issue..

First, can you view the images on the camera itself? If you can, then the camera is likely fine.

Second, How are you formatting the cards? on the camera? on the pc? try camera formatting first. if that doesn't work, try PC with a FAT32 file system (never NTFS).

Third, try a different card reader. yours could be flaky.

Last edited by mee; 07-03-2015 at 09:07 AM.
07-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is this on only one computer? Have you tried reading the card in different ways? Card reader, Camera used as card reader? Seperate card reader? Computer slot card reader?

07-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Is this on only one computer? Have you tried reading the card in different ways? Card reader, Camera used as card reader? Seperate card reader? Computer slot card reader?
I would agree that the card(s) are the most likely place to look. I would take your newest card (they don't last forever) and format it using the format utility from the SD Association Web site. That utility will format your card to SD spec without any OS-specific baggage.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

After that, I would shoot a variety of subjects using your normal settings using RAW+, so you get two images for each exposure. Now review the results in-camera. Are all the images there and readable and can you zoom freely to 8x on each one (to make sure you are not looking at the preview thumbnail). If everything is good at this point, there are readable files on the card.

Now I would copy the files to the computer using a simple file transfer and attempt to view the JPEGs at full resolution using the operating system's photo viewer. So far, so good? Now see if the RAW files are readable using your usual tool. Did we fail? If so, try a different method of file transfer. For example, if you were using a USB cable, try a card reader next time. If you had a fail, there is a problem with the copying process.

Steve
07-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
Forum Member

Does usb transfer show all the pics? Could be a reader issue on either pc or camera. PM me for an option, i believe i can help.