Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

Internal focusing mechanism broken

Hi, I'm new here so if this has been asked before, I apologize.

I dropped my K-30 from about 1.5' - 2' on the front of the lens. Now the internal focusing jumps around and makes a clicking noise when I shoot a picture. It took about 4 or 5 good pictures after that and then all of a sudden started acting crazy.

When looking through the viewfinder it will take a decent picture but shakes and makes a clicking noise while processing.
When taking a picture through the LCD on the back, it makes the clicking noise and shakes and will not take a good picture. Looks like a hand held picture at 2 seconds or longer. Very fuzzy.

From what I can tell, this will be an expensive repair. One local camera shop charges $230 just to look at it and adds the repair costs onto that when completed.
I guess what my question is, is it worth it to have it repaired or just get another body?

Thanks for any advice .

07-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Ouch! That is what comes to mind when you describe your dropped camera problems. Best case would be that the lens is toast and that the body has little no damage. Your understanding of the cost to repair is accurate. You can very likely get a replacement (K-50) for about the same as the cost to repair. Before ordering up, you might want to check whether your body works with a different lens.

Steve
07-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have more than one lens so you can determine if this is lens or body related? What lens did you drop?
07-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. It does the same thing with all of the lenses and even without a lens attached. It was the kit 18-55 lens that was attached when it was dropped. It seems to be ok. Again, thanks for the posts.
Ted

07-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Sounds like the problem is in the camera then. A local repair shop will probably be unable to get parts and if anything send it to Precision for repair.

As noted before it will probably more economical to buy a new body or kit with lens.
07-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
Forum Member

precision charges $206 for a K30.
Is that a flat rate? I remember sending a Sears (Ricoh) SLR to sears and they charged me a flat rate no matter what was wrong internally short of a complete write off.