Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Hello Uncle Vanya,

I do not see where I quoted you. If I did, I can assure you that it was unintentional. Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards,

Tonytee
No worries, I was more concerned I had missed something subtle and needed the assurance that I hadn't.

07-20-2015, 11:26 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I decided to give the Energizer AA rechargeables another shot at life. I charged them all for approximately 72 hours. I placed them in the Pentax k100D Super and after only three shutter clicks, they bought the farm. So, in the trash they went along with the charger. I will stick with my Duracell AA non-rechargeable batteries until they die and then invest in the CR-V3 Duracell Ultras, non-rechargeables. Thanks again to everyone for listening to my whining, however I never imagined I would have so much trouble with batteries. I just feel as though any rechargeable battery is not reliable, especially in the long run.

Regards,
Tonytee
07-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New rechargeable batteries??????
07-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I was lucky. Five years ago I bought a used *istD and a couple sets of Eneloop AAs. I already owned a generic battery charger. Five years later, add another *istD and a K100D, and the same set of Eneloops are still going strong, and that set is the only one I own. I try to wait until the batteries are depleted, and I charge them for about 3 hours in the basic charger. Maybe they used a different formula back in 2010, but I think I got my money's worth for sure.

07-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
New rechargeable batteries??????
Hello again Uncle,

Yes, you are correct in that perhaps new re-chargeables would be the way to go. However, it comes down to a matter of trust. I'd just as soon pay a little extra because I believe it is worth the peace of mind. $15 to $20.00 a year is not excessive. Thanks again for your input.

Rgds,
Tony
03-12-2016, 12:53 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pasorro Quote
Thanks !
The tips about live view and video are very usefull for k100d super proud owners!!
Lol
The Pentax k100D Super does not have Live View.

Tony

---------- Post added 03-12-16 at 01:07 AM ----------

Greetings all,

I have recently purchased a like new Pentax k100d Super camera. The camera has only 848 (verified) shutter clicks. It worked flawlessly until I placed my Energizer Nimh 2300 Amh rechargeable batteries in it. The batteries had been charged for a little more than 24 hours. There was barely enough juice to see the flashing battery icon in the LCD, which indicated a powerless battery. The batteries are also in like new condition, they work perfectly in other gear. I did place new Duracell alkaline batteries in the camera, and no problem. The LCD panel displayed a battery level at full power.

I will appreciate any help available. Almost forgot. The Instruction Manual for the camera clearly indicates that it is recommended to use NiMH rechargeable batteries, although it does not indicate the Ampere millage per Hour.

Rgds,

Tony
Well, I am back sportsfans with some sad news. In my previous posts regarding the subject of batteries, I indicated that I would not rely on re-chargeables again and stick to the non-rechargeable batteries. On July 25, 2015 I purchased a set of two Duracell CR-V3 batteries, brand new with an expiration date of March 2022. The seller assured me they would be fine until March of 2017. With very little usage, the batteries went dead on me today. I could not believe my misfortune. This morning I turned the camera on (Pentax K100D Super) and the battery life indicator clearly showed a fully powered set of batteries. Took a few shots of my wife and that was it. I came back to the computer to upload them, and it was a no go situation. Dead, not a little dead, but DEAD, DEAD. Of course I was flustered and disappointed but not too upset since I received these items free of charge. Amazon allows a customer to use Bonus Rewards Dollars on their credit cards to purchase items. So, it appears as though it is back to square one.
Thanks for reading,

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 03-12-2016 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Grammar Error.
03-12-2016, 01:55 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I used Eneloops and similar batteries in my K200D for many years and they work but you need a good battery charger to keep them healthy. Look for a smart charger which can "refresh" batteries by repeatedly charging and discharging over several days and do this once a year for each set.

Having said that, the only batteries which always worked reliably with the camera were lithium AAs. They're expensive but they last for ages and always work when you need them to. Even Eneloops fail a lot and can be very frustrating.

03-12-2016, 02:17 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I used Eneloops and similar batteries in my K200D for many years and they work but you need a good battery charger to keep them healthy. Look for a smart charger which can "refresh" batteries by repeatedly charging and discharging over several days and do this once a year for each set.

Having said that, the only batteries which always worked reliably with the camera were lithium AAs. They're expensive but they last for ages and always work when you need them to. Even Eneloops fail a lot and can be very frustrating.
Thank you for your input. Any particular brand that you prefer?

Rgds,

Tony
03-12-2016, 06:18 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know my k100d was pretty picky regarding the batteries, I don't miss this aspect since it's been relegated to back up use.

My happiest results with a k100d were the high(er) capacity Eneloop XX and a Maha MH-C9000 smart charger. There are less expensive Lacrosse brand smart chargers that people seem just as happy with. Either way, a smart charger is worth it to keep your batteries in top shape.
03-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Thank you for your input. Any particular brand that you prefer?

Rgds,

Tony
Energisers are the only AA lithium batteries I've ever seen for sale.
03-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #41
Forum Member

The 6V lantern battery (915A) that has the screw tops, marketed as an Alkaline 2600ma lantern battery can be adapted to a camera with some micro alligator clips or dummy AA cells using the small wire port at the battery door. Clip it to your belt and run the power to the camera. Not the best setup, but if your mounted on a tripod all day or are shooting stationary objects, this is the way to go.
03-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Energisers are the only AA lithium batteries I've ever seen for sale.
In the USA they have a patent. Outside the USA there are other brands. The cr3 batteries also work really well. How many shots total did you get with them?
03-14-2016, 12:55 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In the USA they have a patent. Outside the USA there are other brands. The cr3 batteries also work really well. How many shots total did you get with them?
I've really no idea how many but as an estimate they lasted at least four times as long as a set of Eneloops in tip-top condition and fully charged.
03-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've really no idea how many but as an estimate they lasted at least four times as long as a set of Eneloops in tip-top condition and fully charged.
Um... that's right then. They are rated for <= 700 pictures. I am confused as to why you thought you didn't get enough shots from them. Maybe I am confused by how many you were getting from Enloops.

(CR-3 batteries are rated between 300-730 without flash use; 180-480 with 100% flash)
(

Last edited by UncleVanya; 03-14-2016 at 10:37 AM.
03-17-2016, 01:55 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pasorro Quote
I Used recargable crv3 li- ion from ebay for 7 years with 0 problems. My daughter Also has a k100d super and she uses same batteries without problems.
Thanks
I believe, and I am only speculating here, that since the camera did not undergo any changes, the batteries became more efficient and compatible with the K100DS. I can give the CR-V3 re-chargeables a try and see how it goes. I will be glad to report here if any issues arise. Thanks again for your input.

Tonytee